P3nnyw1se

looking for help to start learning USMT with sccm 2012

Question

Hi guys.

So the past year I've been using SCCM 2012 SP1 CU3..
Succesfully now able to OSD 5 different computer types, deploy applications control drivers etc.
I use a combination of task sequence and the GUI 'UDI Wizard, where the user is able to select what programs he wants etc.'

I'm ready for my next step,
Whenever I OSD a computer in house, I would love if I could keep the users settings, favorites, desktop files etc.
Especially since I'm about to update 60-70 computers from Vista to Windows 7..

I'm assuming this means I need USMT Refresh.

I've seen several guides here and online, but I was hoping someone could give me the best place to start.
I need to get the basics.. like, what do I need?
Do I need something installed on the server? AIK?.. Do I need a share to put the users data?
How do I set it up in UDI Wizard? Can I use the same task sequence? .. does it work from Vista to Win 7 ?

etc.. I wanna spend some days trying to dig deep in it.. so all I'm asking for is a place to start

regards Allan

3 answers to this question

start by learning how USMT works, and to do so i'd recommend you read this old post i wrote. Create two custom task sequences as it describes and start testing capture user state (get that working first) and once it's working 100% everytime, then test restoring that data in a separate task sequence, once you have mastered that, you can start looking at the complexity that there is in refresh scenarios.

You obviously wobn't be using USMT 3 listed in the guide, however you can use USMT as provided in your ADK (assesment and deployment kit), here are the usmt requirements

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824913.aspx

and here's the version of ADK used in your version of Configuration Manager - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30652

Hi,

Does the migration using the USMT compress all data to the SCCM server while its capturing and uncompress while its restoring>

Or will it copy the exact data size thats sitting on your HDD?

Hope fully it will compress which will make sense.

Another thing is I need to specify whcih files is needed and only them files like i dont need my videos and my music just need my documents, desktop, c:\ and thats about it i guess.

Thanks