SamySilva

F8 - Enable command support (testing only) - (Windows PE x86) Issue

Question

Hi,

The feature "Enable command support (testing only)" is working partially on boot images (Windows PE x86).

In a deployment procedure OSD:

After performing step "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr"; the task sequence out of "Windows PE" and restart the computer (current installed operating system).

After it; F8 does not work anymore.

I believe it is a bug.

====

Note: This problem does not occur in Boot Image (Windows PE x64).

===

Windows PE: 6.3.9600.16384

SCCM 2012 R2 CU1

7 answers to this question

After it; F8 does not work anymore.

I believe it is a bug.

I don't think it's a bug, what happens is the operating system is now booting into Windows and uses whatever bootloader is now laid down on the hard disk (instead of WinPE which the boot wim containing the logic for F8 has), and there is no logic built into Windows or it's boot loader to press F8, this is temporary though, after the setup windows and configmgr step is done you'll be able to press F8 again, you can however try to press left shift and F10 when it's in this state to see if a command prompt comes up...

I don't think it's a bug, what happens is the operating system is now booting into Windows and uses whatever bootloader is now laid down on the hard disk (instead of WinPE which the boot wim containing the logic for F8 has), and there is no logic built into Windows or it's boot loader to press F8, this is temporary though, after the setup windows and configmgr step is done you'll be able to press F8 again, you can however try to press left shift and F10 when it's in this state to see if a command prompt comes up...

Note: This problem does not occur in Boot Image (Windows PE x64).

well if you feel it's a bug (and I still don't think it is, but I'm happy to be corrected) then you can file a bug on connect here - http://connect.microsoft.com

Thanks for iteration.

The problem is that by pressing F8, nothing happens, but the task sequence is locked at the end of the last step. And as there is no way to close the CMD, the routine is locked. Apparently the process cmd is open, but not shown, locking the task sequence.

great ! i had a brief look, and it is not listed as an issue that is fixed that I can see., the only OSD issues are listed below

Operating system deployment
  • The Run Command Line task sequence action does not start if the package and deployment are configured to download all content locally before the action starts. This occurs only when the same package is shared across multiple task sequences.
  • The Task Sequence Agent (TSAgent) does not use the logging related values that are set in the following registry subkey on a client:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\Logging