anyweb

Microsoft set to axe 18,000 jobs

Microsoft is to cut up to 18,000 jobs marking the deepest cuts in the technology firm's 39-year history. The bulk of the cuts, around 12,500, will be in its phone unit Nokia, which Microsoft bought in April, the firm said. Microsoft pledged to cut $600m (£350.8m) per year in costs within 18 months of closing the acquisition.

The cuts are much more severe than the 6,000 initially expected.

_76327076_microsoft.jpg

The firm employs 127,000 globally, including 3,500 staff in the UK. Microsoft declined to say how many jobs in the UK would be cut as a result of the changes.

Chief executive officer Satya Nadella, who took the helm in February, wants the firm to shift its focus away from software to online services, apps and devices.

Making these decisions to change are difficult, but necessary

Mr Nadella wrote in the announcement to staff.

The firm said it also planned to have fewer layers of management "to accelerate the flow of information and decision making." Microsoft said staff affected by the job cuts would be notified over the next six months, and they would be "fully completed" by the the end of June next year. In total it said the cuts, including severance pay, would cost it between $1.1bn to $1.6bn (£643m to £935m) over the next year.

read the rest of the story @ BBC News > http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28348223

I think that since Satya Nadella joined Microsoft that we are seeing many changes to the company that were 'a long time coming' and that it's evolving far faster than it has in years. While the news is troublesome and awful for those who are loosing their job, I think it's for the best for Microsoft's future and I for one am very interested to see what is coming next

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.