rj07thomas

System Center Configuration Manager 2012 Build and Capture with updates- "gold" image.

Apologies if anyone's seen this before- I posted it up on TechNet social 2 days ago and have only had 71 views, no responses!

I have an SCCM 2012 R2 test environment. I've deliberately avoided modifying the AD schema etc so as to impact our environment as little as possible.

I have a few packages working- Java, QuickTime etc. some are compulsory, some are optional. Just messing around really to proved a proof-of-concept.

I've also built up 2 tasks: a build and capture (W7ProSP1), and a deploy for the captured image.

The B&C process seems to go perfectly. It partitions the disk, applies the base OS, installs the updates and captures it. No errors, no hangs. I know the updates are applied because when it boots into the built OS, there are 97 updates in "Windows Updates". The PC (hyper-V) is a workgroup member, as is necessary for sysprep.

I've even set (one at a time) the SMSSLP and SMSMP properties in the client options to point to the sole SCCM server. They both seem to make sure the updates are located, downloaded and installed properly

I run the deploy task against the same machine, and it goes perfectly. It downloads the correct WIM, applies it, reboots, sorts out Windows and the SCCM Client, and presents me with a login screen. Perfect. I Go to "Windows Updates", and there are just 3 updates, not 97 as I would expect.

What am I missing? Everything appears to be 100% correct, apart from the fact that the capture process is either ignoring the 97 updates somehow, or is capturing some fictitious build from Mars. I've removed the "install updates" step from deploy stage- this actually works, but kind of defeats the point of having a "gold" build- this image should now contain 97 updates, 96 of which were downloaded as part of the build and capture process.

This surely must be an easy fix- it's 99% of the way there, it's simply refusing to capture the updated copy of Windows 7. I've been through a few phases of the updates just not working (usually to do with stupidity :-)), but like I say if I boot into the just-built image it does have all the updates, so I can't figure out why the capture phase isn't getting these.

This is driving me slightly nutty, so any help really appreciated.

is your issue in the build and capture (for installing updates) or the deploy task sequence, if it's a build issue, it's in a workgroup therefore what boundary have you defined ? it needs to be an ip range boundary containing an ip that matches the machine you are building, if it's an AD based boundary it won't work as the machine is not in AD it's in a workgroup.

what collection have you deployed these updates to ? is it a collection that the computer is in during build and capture ?

Hi, and wow- thanks for your reply, much faster thank TechNet social! It's the build process... or more specifically, the capture.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with boundaries- it is in an AD boundary, but like you said is a workgroup member so this won't work.

What I don't get is that it is installing the updates, because when I boot into the "built" image there are 97 updates. It will capture the image fine, but seems to miss the updates.

However, I really appreciate your help and will give re-configuring the boundary a go so that it's on an IP range rather than AD.

Much appreciated, purely on a sanity basis!

Rhidian

Hi Niall,

Just one more favour- could you point me in the right direction as far as the capture logs are concerned? I'll configure network discovery, but I'm just curious as to why the capture process isn't capturing an OS that I know is patched.

Many thanks for all your help,

Rhidian

the windowsupdate.log in c:\windows will show you what updates are applied or not,

how do you know it's patched ? have you verified by logging in and checking ? you could disable the capture part for testing and let the build complete, then login and have a look, are 97 updates installed or not ?

are you sure the updates arnt installing AFTER you've captured the image, for example via windowsupdate itself instead of via Configuration Manager

Hi,

I'm pretty sure they're installing during the build- I'll take another look, but the "install updates" step is running- it's downloading and installing xx updates without problems, and then I boot into the build and it shows xx updates (weirdly, this count has gone down so I'm guessing MS must have bundled some updates into others or decommissioned some).

Thanks again,

Rhidian

well if they are installing during the build then you are most likely deploying a different wim file, verify what wim file is actually being deployed did you make sure to redistributed it after adding the captured wim ?

Hi Niall,

Thanks for this- and yes, that was exactly the problem. I redeployed everything from the captured image right through to the deployment task and that works, I can now see 97 updates.

Sorry for wasting your time on this one- this is the biggest thing that catches me out (still) with SCCM is having to redeploy everything every time you make a change.

Thanks again for all your help and hope you have a good weekend,

Rhidian