irkaylie

SCCM Software Updates work on machines off network?

Question

Hi,

I've been using SCCM 2012 R2 for some time know, but there are still some mysteries to me. I have been asked to start deploying software updates through it rather than WSUS or Windows Updates itself. Before i came along, people got their updates the old fashion way-Windows Updates. So after the grueling task of figuring that out, i've got it working-ish! My main concern with this method (and also Endpoint) is that the majority of our users are NOT on the domain/network at all times. We do have several hub offices whose machines are on the network, but our line of work is mostly remote. Meaning these users are on home, hotel or data card wifi--not the network. They also rarely get on VPN.

So my question is: are these people going to receive updates or endpoint definitions while being "offline?" I have a bunch of machines listed as inactive in Devices since they are never on our network. Is there a call home feature I'm unaware about with the sccm client? Keep in mind, when the machines are sent out, they are all sent out the same and with the client installed and working properly. Is this a bad setup in our environment? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 answers to this question