Barney

Remote Tools Windows 7 UAC

Question

Hi,

What do you guys use for remote control of desktops?

We are implementing SCCM 2007 and I thought we could use Remote Tools that comes with SCCM to control the clients. The problem is as soon as the Windows 7 UAC screen pops up requesting an administrator credentials you cannot use remote tools to connect or control the computer anymore.

Anyone had any experience with this?

i just did a quick test on a win7 virtual client here and using a user that is a member of local administrators on the windows 7 pc i could remote desktop client to it via SCCM, all systems collection, right click, choose Start, Remote Desktop Client and it worked just fine, no UAC prompts at all. And this is on a clean install of windows 7 with no gp's applied aside from

1. enable remote desktop

2. disable firewall

the os was Windows 7 Enterprise X86 (32bit)

i just did a quick test on a win7 virtual client here and using a user that is a member of local administrators on the windows 7 pc i could remote desktop client to it via SCCM, all systems collection, right click, choose Start, Remote Desktop Client and it worked just fine, no UAC prompts at all. And this is on a clean install of windows 7 with no gp's applied aside from

1. enable remote desktop

2. disable firewall

the os was Windows 7 Enterprise X86 (32bit)

I dont have a problem connecting using remote tools to a non administrator user on a computer, its when I do an administrative task like Manage My Computer or add drivers for a scanner that the UAC pops up asking for administrator username and password. I would like to be able to enter those details remotely using remote tools, but instead it stops remote tools.

I dont have a problem connecting using remote tools to a non administrator user on a computer, its when I do an administrative task like Manage My Computer or add drivers for a scanner that the UAC pops up asking for administrator username and password. I would like to be able to enter those details remotely using remote tools, but instead it stops remote tools.

im not sure if im following you, i created a testuser called testuser which is only a member of AD users and remote desktop users on the windows 7 client, i then initiated remote desktop to the windows 7 client from within sccm and logged in as testuser,

all fine so far, i then right click on my computer and chose manage, it popped up UAC asking for an administrative username/password which I duly entered and clicked ok. I then was shown the Computer Management MMC

so what am I missing here ?

im not sure if im following you, i created a testuser called testuser which is only a member of AD users and remote desktop users on the windows 7 client, i then initiated remote desktop to the windows 7 client from within sccm and logged in as testuser,

all fine so far, i then right click on my computer and chose manage, it popped up UAC asking for an administrative username/password which I duly entered and clicked ok. I then was shown the Computer Management MMC

so what am I missing here ?

So our problem is we don't want to use remote desktop we want to use remote tools.

Eg. Random user calls up and says I need scanner driver installed. Now with out logging them off you connect to their computer using remote tools and attempt todo the administrive task as them. UAC will then prompt for user and pass but you can't see that cause all of a sudden your remote tools is disconnected and you cannot reconnect until the user cancles the prompt.

Get my drift?

So our problem is we don't want to use remote desktop we want to use remote tools.

Eg. Random user calls up and says I need scanner driver installed. Now with out logging them off you connect to their computer using remote tools and attempt todo the administrive task as them. UAC will then prompt for user and pass but you can't see that cause all of a sudden your remote tools is disconnected and you cannot reconnect until the user cancles the prompt.

Get my drift?

Barney!, i feel your pain, we have the exact same problem at my work. looking at fixed, but we do not want to turn UAC off.

let me know if you here anything on a fix.

cheers

brad

Barney!, i feel your pain, we have the exact same problem at my work. looking at fixed, but we do not want to turn UAC off.

let me know if you here anything on a fix.

cheers

brad

There is no fix it was designed this way by Microsoft, We are using RealVNC for our remote support now, another yearly license to pay now. :(

There is no fix it was designed this way by Microsoft, We are using RealVNC for our remote support now, another yearly license to pay now. :(

Hi,

You can do this without turning off UAC, with Group Policy.

Browse to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options.

User Account Control: Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop: Enabled

User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt standard users: Prompt for credentials

JB