dunkel

Software updates installing after reboot

Question

Hi,

I have my software updates setup to install on Wednesday right after MS Patch Tuesday. As far as I can tell all the patches are deployed succesfully but clients keep receiving updates for days after the installation deadline which causes multiple reboots. Is there any way to prevent this or maybe setup a maintenance window on a specific day of the month and outside of that no updates are pushed to clients?

4 answers to this question

Thanks for that info Peter. What I'm trying to achieve is to have my workstations patch themselves on the second Wednesday of every month and give users a week to reboot their computers. Is this something that can be done with SCCM and maintenance windows? I can't seem to dissociate installation from reboot in software update deployment.

That's not possible at the moment the deadline arrives, it will install and restart (if applicable). The only thing you can do is suppress the restart, but than you'll leave it all up to the user...

Another thing that just popped-up, so it's just a thought, you might be able to allow the updates to install outside the maintenance window and just schedule them. Then make sure that the maintenance window arrives a week after for the restart of the devices.

Thanks Peter. I set up your second option in my lab environment and it seems to work as advertised. Only downside is that if a workstation misses the reboot window then it skips its turn until next time but I'm willing to live with that.