mikeblue

Configuration Manager network balancing and info

Question

Hello.

I have a SCCM on my domain (university) which we use to software distribution, and OSD, among others. I am in the process of implementing UE-V end app-v in it.

We separate our various services (faculty and staff, computer classrooms) in various VLANs.

Our sccm server (w2012R2) which is virtualized, has network teaming and supposedly good performance/bandwith, both for network and storage.

We just have a primary site with fallback DP in it, and also MP and FP, and two DPs over WAN (100MB/s).

We have about 5k machines in all; Probably half of them are for classrooms.

The primary site has 2 NIC, one for general access, and the second for communication to the classroom computers (through it's VLAN).

We thought we could, this way, separate traffic from and to the machines to this distribution point so that we could balance network load.

We already changed some settings on the OSD task sequence so, through the use of Hosts files and other, to force the classroom machines installation to communicate through the Classroom VLAN IP attributed to the SCCM server.

When we tried to install the machines with multicasting, though, the machines proceeded fine through PXE but stoped communicating with the SCCM server on policy processing.

The logs indicated that the policy was obtained but the processing of the BODY was unresponsive.

What I am asking you is your opinion on how to implement:

- forcing of communication to and from the SCCM to the classroom client machines through that particular VLAN (is it a routing issue?)

- configuration changes to achieve that goal.

- Is it possible to configure a second DP on the same machine (SCCM primary site) which responds to the classroom clients and can be their assigned DP?

I am also finding a hard time troubleshooting all kinds of matters in SCCM.

I know that Technet had some flowcharts that were a big help understanding each communication process from sccm with its clients.

I think the log separation is a good thing and the documentation about what each one is for, is available.

The problem is that I cannot find valuable information on how the workflow is (for instance, for software distribution, for client DP discovery...) so I could create some scripts to follow a clients flow when I want to troubleshooot something.

I know that you have presented a thorough article with study material but I can't seem to find more internal stuff that would help troubleshoot more difficult issues.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for not posting this directly on the forum. I thought you would be able to advise me first hand on how to proceed.

Miguel Santos

v.miguel.c.santos@live.com.pt

Portugal

1 answer to this question

For the network balancing you don't need to really have it on a seperate connection itself.

You can try just splitting the SCCM sites and having one site for the classrooms and another for your other devices.

You cannot have 2 DP's on the same box so you'll have to find another server to host that roll and/or a windows desktop to host it. The way to control the DP's is by Boundry Groups. You simply just set them up using subnets and set the subnet for one vlan for one Boundry group and the subnet for the others in another boundry group. Then you assign the boundry groups to the DP's that you have.