blaf

How to stop deployment

Question

Hello,

What would be the best method to stop deployment, whether it's patch, application, client or OS...

This step would be in emergency if deployment is started and needs to be prevented immediately.

Example would be if wrong collection was selected, and start deploying application to All Systems instead of smaller collection of devices.

I believe restarting some services would stop deployment, I am not sure if it's SMS_Site_Component_Manager or other service ( not SMS_Executive ).

Thanks,

Blaf

2 answers to this question

two things,

1. disable the deployment by changing the schedule to expire now, then
  2. update the machine policy on all clients that received the original deployment so that they get the update (and see that it's no longer deployed).

If you delete the original deployment you'll have problems finding out who got it, and running reports to fix the mess.

more info > http://www.niallbrady.com/2010/05/22/sent-out-an-advertisement-you-wish-you-hadn-t/

Hi Nial,

Thank you so much for this information.

I will test this on couple of devices, create document and keep it in file.

I guess as you mention on this webpage this can happen to all of us in SCCM sooner or later. The way how we are gonna react and stop it makes difference.

Best regards,

Blaf