Special Ed

new to DCM

Question

I want to identify machines that have a specific files and/or strings in those files. I've written scripts that will search for the files in question, and I'd like to use DCM to identify those machines that come back as a positive that the files have been found. THen I can build collections based on the DCM to do other things to those machines as needed.

My problem is that I have no idea how to setup DCM so that it will run the scripts and determine their 'compliance'. (If they have the stuff the script looks for, they should be 'compliant' then I can isolate those machines)

Has anyone every setup a DCM to run a script to determine compliance? If so, can you give me some guidance on HOW to do this? I'm clueless with DCM, but know SCCM well in other areas. My OSD works great. :)

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Well, sort of. I think I'm starting to understand the basics of the process, but DCM seems to want to focus on the existance of a specific file, registry key etc. it's much easier to look to see if c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe exists for example. But I'm trying to look for files and flag machines that have these files AND have the right text within that file. So my script needs to locate files, read them, and flag a positive/negative if they have the string I need. Then I can say, "here are the machines with the file, and with the string in the file."

I'm wondering if I'm doing this the wrong way. It might be easier for me to run a script via a standard deployment that does my searching, and if it finds something it creates a file, then just build a DCM that identifies machines with the file. That might be better and easier to manage.

also take a look at this post

http://www.myitforum.com/forums/DCM-Item-and-Baseline-Settings-Report-m217896.aspx

i dont think dcm will read whats in your file, it will jsut tell you if the file exists or not, (compliant or not)

but i could be wrong...

here are links to the DCM downloads

http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/systemcenter/managementpackcatalog

when i get a chance i'll do up some guides for DCM, in the meantime does this help ?

http://msmvps.com/blogs/daniel/archive/2008/03/31/using-sccm-dcm-to-verify-the-gpo-compliance.aspx

Hi Matey,

did you get a chance yet to make some DCM guides ?

if not then please also include a short description of few lines, what it is/does before you go into actual guides.

thanks.