anyweb

how to update SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2007 SP1

This guide was done on a Windows 2003 Server (sp2) running SCCM 2007 which in turn was upgraded from SMS 2003.

As a result, your results may vary, if they do, post them here.

Part 1. Run the Pre-requisite checks and fix the warnings/errors reported.

First of all download the Service Pack 1 update and then run the EXE file which will unzip it to a folder of your choice (I chose to call the folder sccm2007sp1)

unzip.JPG

Once unzipped you can burn that to a DVD or run the splash.hta file contained in C:\sccm2007sp1\SCConfigMgr07_UPD_EN

Once it starts you can run the prerequisite checker to see what you need to fix before continuing...

pre_req.JPG

you will be presented with a prerequisite check

prereqcheck.JPG

I left everything as it was and clicked on OK

once done you'll get a list of errors that need to be resolved such as below, double click on any one to see what the recommended action is and then action each one

prereq_errors.JPG

My first error told me that I needed to do as follows:

Configuration Manager out of band service point requires Windows Server 2003-based schannel hotfix. The schannel hotfix is available for download at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942841/en-us.

as this was a hotfix i was pleasantly surprised to see that Microsoft now allow you to download the hotfix semi-directly, you have to enter your email address twice and input a number displayed on screen, you then get an email with the hotfix download details...

So I downloaded the first one and extracted it with the password supplied in the email.

hotfixkb942841.JPG

While the hotfix installed I clicked OK on the prerequisite checker for SCCM 2007 sp1.

Once the hotfix was done installing, it wanted a reboot, so I rebooted. And then I ran the SCCM 2007 SP1 prerequisite checker again by starting at the beginning and running splash.hta...

This time however I was down to only 3 warnings :)

3left.JPG

Next up I had to do the following:-

WinRM v1.1 is required to run the out of band console and must be installed before primary site or Configuration Manager console installations or upgrades. WinRM 1.1 is available for download at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB936059.

That brought up a page with 3 download links (xp/windows server and so on).... confusing, inconsistent ? yep.. but I got the following file

WindowsServer2003-KB936059-x86-ENU.exe

I must have been lucky because when I ran the SCCM sp1 prerequisite checker again, I was only shown 2 warnings (below)

2left.JPG

Next up was my MMC update

This software update addresses several MMC errors that may occur when running the Configuration Manager console. This update should be applied if any of the following occur: Configuration Manager console stops responding when the host computer is low on available memory, context menu errors on console home pages, or inconsistent display after drag-and-drop operations do not succeed. More information about this update is available at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=98349.

Once installed, I ran the SCCM 2007 SP1 pre requisite checker again, it told me i still needed this fix, so I decided to reboot (the hotfix didn't request it), the reboot didn't help it still listed it as a warning...

so I viewed the ConfigMgrPrereq.log file (stored in the root of C:\) and it had a line that read

Failed to connect to registry for KB940848 with 203 that lead me to this post

Using regmon from Sysinternals I found the missing key and made a reg file of it, if you want it make sure you've applied the correct hotfix first then:-

As a workaround I've produced the following hack.

FQDN Warning.

fqdn.JPG

It is recommended to specify a Fully Qualified Domain Name(FQDN) for site systems in mixed mode Configuration Manager sites. It is required to specify an FQDN for site systems in native mode sites to allow clients to authenticate with site systems.

As my SCCM 2007 site is mixed mode I chose to resolve this warning by doing as follows:-

To fix the FQDN error try the following:

1. Start SCCM Console

2. Click Site Database

3. Click Site Management

4. Click on Site

5. Click Site Settings

6. Go to Site Systems

7. Click on SCCM Server (where State Migration Point is located)

8. Right click on “Configmgr Site System”

fqdn_sccm.JPG

9. Click on Properties

10. In the "Specify a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for this site system on the intranet” change the Intranet FQDN to something like my example here

it was WINDOWS-DOBMTWV

I changed it to windows-noob.sccm2007.local and clicked apply,

fqdn_changed.JPG

after waiting a few minutes for SCCM 2007 to udpate itself I ran the pre-req checker again and finally, success !

pre_req_success.JPG

Part 2. Run the SCCM 2007 SP1 installation wizard.

wizard.JPG

Click Next to continue and choose the default option which is to 'Upgrade...'.

upgrade_existing.JPG

accept the license and click next

license.JPG

decide if you want to participate in the CEIP

ceip.JPG

let the wizard check for updates....

check_for_updates.JPG

create a new local directory and then give that path to the wizard for the local updates to be stored...

path.JPG

updates are downloaded (89 in my case...)

sccmupdates.JPG

you'll be told the update download is complete,

updatedownloaddone.JPG

and you'll get an upgrade summary

summary.JPG

clicking next will run the pre-requisite checker again ! but now you'll see a new button, Begin Install

begin.JPG

Clicking that will start the actual process (how long winded can it all get ?) and this process can take some time (no kidding...) so go make a cup of coffee... or 10

update_in_progress.JPG

after what seems like an eternity the process will finish and you have to click next...

finally_done.JPG

finally_done2.JPG

if you liked this guide and would like to see more Free guides, then please DIGG it.

• Like 1

We are planning to upgrade from SMD 2003 SP1 to SCCM 2007 R3 in next month.So I have 2 questions here:

1. Can we upgrade directly SMS 2003 SP1 to SCCM 2007 R3 in one instollation instead of upgare first SMS 2003 SP1 to SCCM 2007 then SCCM 2007 to SP1/2 then R3...?

2. We have both SMS and SQL Server on one system like primary site so before upgraing SMS 2003 do we need to take some backup task for SQL Server SMs database?

If do so,then let me know how ? and also how it integrated/exchange with SCCM..?

I hope I can have answer soon if possible. I'll appreciate.Thanks

We are planning to upgrade from SMD 2003 SP1 to SCCM 2007 R3 in next month.So I have 2 questions here:

1. Can we upgrade directly SMS 2003 SP1 to SCCM 2007 R3 in one instollation instead of upgare first SMS 2003 SP1 to SCCM 2007 then SCCM 2007 to SP1/2 then R3...?

2. We have both SMS and SQL Server on one system like primary site so before upgraing SMS 2003 do we need to take some backup task for SQL Server SMs database?

If do so,then let me know how ? and also how it integrated/exchange with SCCM..?

I hope I can have answer soon if possible. I'll appreciate.Thanks