mhourshad

Client upgrade suggestions

For the record, I want to basically start from scratch with my SCCM hierarchy. Quite possibly I might be overthinking it, but if the existing 2007 SCCM clients are associated with the 2007 site they wont talk to the 2012 Primary site...right? The boundaries are going to be the same between 2007 and 2012 (via IP subnet). So as far as the client upgrade method, I'm not sure what will be the best method. Maybe via Group Policy or login script since I dont want to keep the 2007 server online longer than I need to.

Opinions???

Steve, if you have your clients already running and fully functional in ConfigMgr 2007, then you can create a package in ConfigMgr 2007 with the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager client files. Then, you can create an advertisement and target the sets of clients that you want to move over to Configuration Manager on a schedule that you manage. Your command line would need to contain (at a minimum) the parameters: /MP:<servername> /upgrade SMSMP=<servername> SMSSITECODE=<sitecode>. You would replace <servername> with the hostname of your management point, and <sitecode> with the sitecode of your System Center 2012 Configuration Manager site. The following page provides more information about the methods of client installation, and why you might choose one method over another. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682191.aspx

I did this without any major problems. My CM2007 was essentially broken so I set up a GPO object to switch the site code to the new CM2012 server and enabled push install to all client to allow them to auto update as they switched over to the new site. Only issue I had was a couple of machines are still running XP SP2 which CM2012 doesn't support.