cicici1234

Can SCCM 2012 live with existing production SCCM 2007

I wish to test SCCM 2012 and wishing to use it to replace SCCM 2007.

Right now, we already have SCCM 2007 running as production. It deploys Windows 7 daily and updating our homebrew applications.

Since we need SCCM 2007 running until SCCM 2012 can go fully in production, I want to know if it is okay to have SCCM 2012 co-exist with SCCM 2007 in the same network. We are not planning to migrate SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012. Instead, we will do a clean setup and clean database for SCCM 2012. Our SCCM 2007 is a mess. I need to make sure whatever I am doing with SCCM 2012 will not break SCCM 2007.

Is it possible? If so, is there anything I need to watch out?

Thanks!

CiCi

Yes that's possible. The only thing you have to look at are the Boundaries/ Boundary Groups, see also: http://www.petervand...configmgr-2012/

Peter, I looked at your blog, and I'm not exactly sure about how I should set up my boundaries.

We have set up a new SCCM 2012 server, and we want to migrate to it from our SCCM 2007 production server. Of course we don't want to assign any of the SCCM 2007 clients to the new site until it's ready for production. Here is how the boundaries are set up on the SCCM 2007 server:

2rqRY.png

I have a few virtual machines who are connected directly to our physical network (DHCP), and I use those virtual machines to test OSD and what have you. The virtual machines IP subnets are included in the boundaries displayed in the picture. How would you propose I set up the boundaries so that only my VMs are assigned to the new site?

Thank you!

Hey Iroqouiz, the best approach to include only the computers you want is to have included is to assign static IP addresses to your VMs and then create an IP range boundary in SCCM 2012 where you include the static IP addresses you assigned to your VMs. Also make sure this range isn't inside one of your IP Subnet boundaries from SCCM2012, this might conflict.

@Willisj318: I haven't tested yet if it would give any problems, but your machines get detected anyway by SCCM, even if they don't have the client installed so i wouldn't go for setting up the boundaries in 2012 the same as in 2007, just to be safe!