anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 7. Build and Capture Windows 7 X64 SP1

In System Center 2012 Configuration Manager RTM we use the Setup.exe method of deploying Windows which involves using the entire operating system image media (operating system installer). There are changes to this method in Service Pack 1 but as that has yet to be released we will use the Build and Capture process based on an operating system installer image (Setup.exe).

Any chance we can get the SP1 instructions/changes you mentioned in the guide?

the build and capture task sequence was updated to apply an operating system image instead of running Setup.exe for installation. You can still run Setup.exe for Windows 8 deployments by editing the task sequence in the task sequence editor.

It does sound kind of like the change will be under the hood, and not in the process... but I would like to be sure...

its under the hood and in the process, see this post for details (long story short you can now point to install.wim on the installation media instead of using Setup.exe) in fact the new build and capture process forces you this way, here's an example of that (scroll down)

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can help? I have been following the guides and have got to a point where I can go no further. I am doing the lab with physical machines (not Virtual).

I am able to PXE boot and get to the Password screen, however once I have entered the password, the machine is rebooting. The error I am getting is shown in the screenshot.

SCCM%20TS%20Failure.jpg

All of my content is on a distibution point and is showing green (success). I have changed my NAA to SMS Admin, which I have now given full permission to all file/folders. I have injected the network card drivers and updated my boot image(s). Before it fails I am pressing F8, however an SMSTS.log is not being created.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

This has been covered before I am sure but I can't find it anywhere on this site so please bare with me. We are trying to deploy a Windows 7 "heavy" image captured manually as a .wim. The image contains a D: partition with 10 gigs of space. When trying to deploy this image we are getting an error when installing the operating system. The error is 0x80070070 which indicates that the drive is out of disk space. When I remove the extra partition through the task manager the deployment goes without a hitch. Any ideas on how I can add the partition after the operating system gets installed?

Hi everyone. Excellent job with the site!

Just installed my SCCM 2012 SP1 lab and following along instructions.

When I create the Task Sequence for Build & Capture Win7 x64 Service Pack 1, I don't get any OS Images

in the "Select Operating System Image" screen.

I distributed content (more than once), verified content status and they are OK. Any ideas how to get past this issue?

I pointed my installers to xxxx\sources\install.wim

Hi everyone. Excellent job with the site!

hi and thanks !

just installed my SCCM 2012 SP1 lab and following along instructions.

When I create the Task Sequence for Build & Capture Win7 x64 Service Pack 1, I don't get any OS Images

in the "Select Operating System Image" screen.

I distributed content (more than once), verified content status and they are OK. Any ideas how to get past this issue?

I pointed my installers to xxxx\sources\install.wim

see my response below for details

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6382-cannot-select-operating-system-installer/

Thanks for the update. I was able to continue and PXE boot my VMWare VM. It now stops with error 0x800700002 when applying operating system. I have read a few more posts regarding Network Access Account, etc I have verified those and everything seems OK.

Will take a break and continue tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes. :)

This is what didn't work for me on this part of the lab and what I used to resolve it, hopefully it saves someone a lot of frustration

SCCM 2012 SP1 (no upgrade, default CM2012 SP1, install)

During TS, smsts log showed multiple http 401 errors \ authentication errors and would fail -

Resolution - allow Annonymous client connections on DP (this fix is documented on laods of sites, but never an explanation as to why this is a solution and not what is causing the problem.

Capture failed to specified location - domain admin account used, still access denied or path not found -

Resolution - Create capture location on root of server eg: C:\ capture , everyone full access, and use the Network Access account. No idea why this scenario resolved the issue, but any nested unc path ( \\server \path\path\capture) failed regardless of account and permissions.

While loading into Winpe, just before PXE password page loaded, TS would fail and reboot (network connections last task bar to show), this constantly failed.

Resolution - created new Boot image, and used that instead, worked straight away and no issues.

The default boot image that was used, was on a brand new built server (built twice to get some of the issues resolved and worked on, I managed to break CM twice), so no possiblity of a corruption in the images.

TS failed on the Configuration Manager client configure step, i think it was an 0x8004005 error

Resolution - In task sequences, for the Config Manager client task, remove any syntax, eg: SMSMP =xxxx , leave the options section completely blank.
While this fixed this, I also believe it's not required for a capture, as we are only doing a capture there is no reason to have any
MP's etc defined, that can be done in a deployment later on, especially if you will possibly have multiple MPs and sites etc that will use this capture.

Some of the issues may also be caused from MDT2012 SP1, intergration, but I have yet to prove that. O have read posts on issues caused from MDT2012 SP1.

DancingFerret:

Thanks for the info. I allowed anonymous access to DP, and created a new root folder share.

* UPDATE *

As this is becoming very frustrating (almost 2 weeks into this) I copied my source files again, created new system images, system installers, task sequences, used my domain admin account instead of sccmnas account, and tried again.

Now the TS goes further. After downloading the source files, I see the Windows background change, then says Setting up Windows and Configuration Manager, the background changes again to SCCM 2012 and the TS errors out.

Error code: 0x80004005

I have attached a copy of my smsts.log as I don't seem to find an error. :(

* UPDATE 2 *

I attached a copy of the smsts.log under X:\windows\temp. This one shows an error during "Setup Windows and Configuration Manager".

smsts7.log

smsts.log