LimeLover

Cannot select Operating system installer

Hi guys,

After following the guides here I am now stuck on something that could be quite simple: when creating the task sequence in step 7 in the guide I cannot select my deployed OS installer.

I have double checked if the deployment went okay and retried it - it seems to be deployed alright.

What can I do to make the OS installer show up in the task sequence? When I add it as an image instead of installer I see it just fine but I of course want to stick to the manual:

could the manual be incorrect?

Not too sure by what you mean but is it that you are unable to select the TS once PXE booted from the menu??

If so then make sure that you have made the deployment available and not required!!

If not can you please clarify a little more what is the problem.....screen shot etc!!

Rocket Man

I Think what he means is,

With SCCM 2012 SP1 Beta installed you can no longer select an "Image Package" for use with the "Apply Operating System" Task from the "Operating System Installers" Container when configuring a Build Capture Task.

This is the exactly Issue I was having till 10min ago when I figured out a work around "I’m sure it is a BUG in the Wizard".

Work Around:

Configure and distribute the "Operating System Installer" exactly as described the URL you attached

Additional bits:

Distribute the same OS as an image by using the Install.wim that is located in the Unpacked Distribution you are using for the "Operating System Installer":

Right Click "Operating System Images" > Add Operating System Images

Browse to the Distribution Share > Drill down through the folder structure to the sources folder "something like \\sccm\sources\os\os_media\x64-W7-ENT\sources"

Select the install.wim file and name it something meaningful and add comment like “W7 ENT Raw Image”.

Distribute Content:

Right Click newly added Image and distribute content “Same as you did with Installer”.

Create Task Sequence:

Select a new Build and Capture task selecting the newly added Operating system image listed on the Operating System Page “Note this is temporary thus why I think it is a bug” complete the rest of the settings as described in the URL you listed.

Manual Edit of TS:

Right click the newly created TS and select edit

Highlight “Apply Operating System Task”

In the Right hand pane click the “Apply Operating System from an Original Installation Source” Radio button, you will now be able to browse to your “Operating System Installers” Content. “Note make sure the Edition Drop down is correct, this is Manly for Server installs that have 8 or so Edition” Click Ok and Close the TS

Deploy:

Right Click the TS and Deploy It to the collector you are using for testing.

That has worked for me and as highlighted above I think it is a bug with the wizard

I will add a WARNING that may save you time: Yes you can use the RAW Image to deploy from as well as to deploy & capture from however “tested on 2008R2” even though the installation will be successful it will always be to the D: regardless of TS used “From what I have read this is expected”.

Hope this helps

Cheers

James

• Like 1

this is not a bug its a design change, when I wrote the initial guide RTM was released and SP1 was far from beta, in RTM you can select an operating system installer, in SP1 you cannot in the wizard but you can edit the task sequence afterwards to point to the intsaller if thats the way you want to do it,

in SP1 the recommended way is to use the install.wim file either from a previously captured image or from the Installation media itself, this is the major design change in SP1.

this is not a bug its a design change, when I wrote the initial guide RTM was released and SP1 was far from beta, in RTM you can select an operating system installer, in SP1 you cannot in the wizard but you can edit the task sequence afterwards to point to the intsaller if thats the way you want to do it,

in SP1 the recommended way is to use the install.wim file either from a previously captured image or from the Installation media itself, this is the major design change in SP1.

First time poster here!

Thank you for the great information on your site. Very useful for SCCM noobs like me! :)

Now to the point: You say this is a design change? Why then is Microsoft still giving us the option to "Build and capture a reference system image" then ? I don't know SCCM 2012, and I don't know how to perform the work around (nerver any previous SCCM either). I'm still stuck at not being able to do anything useful ?!

Any way your guide will be updated to reflect what we must now do in SCCM 2012 SP1 (not the beta, but the full/real/commercial version).

Thx

P.J

First time poster here!

Thank you for the great information on your site. Very useful for SCCM noobs like me! :)

Any way your guide will be updated to reflect what we must now do in SCCM 2012 SP1 (not the beta, but the full/real/commercial version).

Thx

P.J

if i get time I will update it, however i'm busy working on the next post and all the posts take a lot of time to accomplish,

the design change was done because running the installer (setup.exe) was basically an unsupported way (according to the Windows team at least) of installing these operating systems with different versions of WinPE, therefore Microsoft decided to move to the supported method (using install.wim) but still give you the possibility of changing back to the 'old' method if needed.

Hi all

If you use the install.wim from your Win7 DVD, not a previously deployed/captured image (with you applied software packages like office ect.)
then by design the install.wim installs the OS on D:.. and that should be an improvement??
Hi, If you create a new task sequence in SP1,you can specify "Partition and format the target computer before installing the operating system" if you are running MDT Task Sequence you have to specifi the driver letter C: in the sequence under "apply operating system" step.

• Like 1