anyweb

Deploy Windows 7

Question

Please note that this guide is designed to get you Deploying Windows 7 with SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Operating System Deployment:

Operating System Deployment in Configuration Manager

Overview of Operating System Deployment

Configuration:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

This guide assumes that you've installed and configured SCCM 2007 already and that you have set it up to deploy operating system's such as Windows Vista SP1. In addition you must have installed SP2 for ConfigMgr. It is available for download here.

The most up to date version of this Guide will always be found in the Deploy 7 section of the windows-noob.com forums.

For best practise information about deployments using SCCM you should always consult with Microsoft Technet.

Step 1. get the ISO

I chose the 64bit Enterprise version which was en_windows_7_enterprise_x64_dvd_x15-70749.iso.

Now that you have the ISO, mount it or burn it to DVD and copy the contents of it (all files and folders) to a network share on your SCCM server.

copying files.jpg

Step 2. Add Operating System Install Package

In System Center Configuration Manager 2007 expand the Operating System Deployment node and right click on Operating System Install Packages, choose add operating system install package.

When the Add Operating System Install Package wizard appears, point it to the path where the Windows 7 operating system files can be found eg:

\\SCCM\sources\os\7\rtm\x64\ent\

add operating system install package data source.jpg

fill in the name, version and a comment about the image

details about the image.jpg

review the summary

review the summary.jpg

and verify the confirmation

confirmation.jpg

Step 3. Create Distribution Point for the Image

Now that we have added the operating system files to our available operating system install packages, we need to create a new distribution point for it so let's do that.

Expand the newly added Windows 7 image you just added in Operating System Install Image Packages and right click on Distribution Points, select New Distribution Points. Click next on the Welcome screen.

new distribution points.jpg

As this is not a boot image (it's an Entire Operating System), select only the first distribution point (do not select the PXE one)

select first dp.jpg

click next and close.

Step 4. Update Distribution Point

now that we have created a distribution point, let's update it, so right click on distribution points and choose update distribution points, answer yes when prompted.

update dp.jpg

Step 5. Create the Build and Capture Task Sequence

In the Operating System Deployment node of ConfigMgr, right click on Task Sequences and choose New Task Sequence.

new task sequence.jpg

when the wizard appears choose the Build and Capture option

build and capture.jpg

fill in the Task Sequence Information

task sequence information.jpg

press browse and choose your boot image, in this case pick X64 Windows PE boot environment for SCCM 6.1.7100.0 en-US

x64 boot image.jpg

on the Install Windows screen, for Package click on Browse

browse.jpg

and select our Windows 7 operating system install package

select operating system install package.jpg

Leave the product key BLANK and assign an Administrator Password

enterprise edition.jpg

Configure Network

Here we need to enter our network configuration and click next, choose Join Workgroup (recommended best practise). Although joining the domain will work just fine you may have GPO's in place, or startup scripts (login scripts) etc which may taint your master image, keeping it off the domain will keep it clean.

workgroup.png

Install ConfigMgr

click browse and pick your configmgr Client Installation Package (from definition) which we created before

config mgr client.jpg

This step is configured with the following switches to locate the Fallback Status Point, Server Locator Point and Management Point.

FSP=xxxxx SMSSLP=yyyyy SMSMP=zzzzz

where

xxxxx=Fallback Status Point server name

yyyyy=Server Locator Point server name

zzzzz=Management Point Server Name

Install Software Updates

for software updates, choose whether or not to install them during the build (only applicable if you have implemented a SUP), you should have your SLP in use and you need to install the client with the SMSSLP and SMSMP switches as listed above.

install software updates.jpg

if you want to install some software, add it now by clicking on the yellow star and selecting the package and program

install software.jpg

click next at the System Preparation screen

system prep.jpg

add some descriptive properties for the image

image properties.jpg

fill in your Capture Path (UNC share) and capture account details, you can create the capture folder after clicking browse

capture path and account.jpg

review the summary and click next and then click close at the confirmation screen

If you'd like to download a sample Build and Capture Task Sequence for Windows 7 then click here.

Step 6. Advertise the Build and Capture Task Sequence

We will now advertise the Build and Capture Task Sequence to a collection called Build and Capture 7, this collection is empty and without any membership rules, we only use it for creating new images for Windows 7.

In the screenshot below I've created some collections for deploying, capturing or build and capturing operating systems and this makes it easy and clear to advertise specific task sequences to the correct collections.

build and capture collection.jpg

Right click our newly created task sequence and choose Advertise.

advertise.jpg

when the new advertisement wizard appears select the following option make this task sequence available to boot media and PXE and browse to and select the Build and Capture 7 collection shown above

new advertisement wizard.jpg

Schedule

Set your schedule depending on whether you are in a Lab or Production Environment.

For a Lab Environment

Make the Task Sequence mandatory by clicking on the yellow star and select As soon as possible.

Select ignore maintenance windows when runing program and allow system restart, set the program rerun behaviour to always rerun program so that we can rerun the task sequence over and over as we require for testing.

for a lab env.jpg

For a Production Environment

In a Production environment set the advertisement from Mandatory to Optional, this gives us less risk of an accidental deployment but also introduces the possibilty of choice.

for a prod env.jpg

if you want to remove choice then keep the advertisement mandatory but change the program rerun behaviour to never rerun (see below screenshot).

never rerun.jpg

choose the following Distribution Point options

dp options.jpg

show the task sequence progress

show.jpg

click next through the security and summary and review the confirmation

advertisement confirmation.jpg

Step 7. Add a system to the Build and Capture 7 collection

In Operating System Deployment, right click on Computer Association and choose Import Computer Information

import computer.jpg

choose Import Single Computer

import single computer.jpg

enter the computer name and mac address

bac.jpg

mac.jpg

review the choices

review.jpg

browse to the Build and Capture 7 collection

bac7.jpg

Step 8. PXE boot the newly added Windows 7 client

PXE boot your Windows 7 client and it should start the process of PXE boot

pxe1.jpg

starting Windows PE

pxe2.jpg

Starting the Task Sequence (Windows is Starting up)

starting up.jpg

and then formatting the hard disc

pxe3.jpg

after the format the Windows 7 installation begins

installing 7.jpg

files get copied and expanded

7 39 percent.jpg

until they reach 100%

100 percnt.jpg

finally it continues with the next bits (software updates if chosen) and then reboots

reboot.jpg

after the reboot it will attempt pxe boot again if pxe is the first boot device and correctly do an abortpxe

abortpxe.jpg

followed by continuing with the installation and now we get to see the lovely Windows 7 boot screen animation

starting windows.jpg

back into the Task Sequence

back into ts.jpg

after a short delay it will reboot the computer again

starting again.jpg

and preparing the computer for the first use

first use.jpg

setting up windows and the configmgr client

install configmgr.jpg

and then it installs FireFox

install firefox.jpg

followed by the third Reboot

reboot 3.jpg

then it runs Sysprep

Note: if sysprep fails for you at this point with SMSTS.log file reporting verifycapturerequirements fail 8004001 then simply recreate the ConfigMgr client package from definition, and push it out to a DP then use that client package in your TS

sysprep.jpg

after sysprep it will reboot again and then start the actual capturing process

scanning volume 1 of 1

scaning volume one of one.jpg

then capturing the volume to your network share specified while creating the Task Sequence

capturing 7.jpg

finally it will reboot again and start the computer with your sysprepped settings

installing devices.jpg

and the Build and Capture is now complete

7 is done.jpg

On your SCCM server, browse to your capture folder (I changed the path of this during this guide due to lack of server space) and you can see the newly captured Windows 7 Enterprise WIM file

captured 7 wim file.jpg

We will be using that file for part 2 of Deploy Windows 7

HI,

Thank you for your website, it is the best I've ever seen !

I used your guide "Deploy Windows 7 part1" and it doesn't work for me.

When I boot my computer, I have an IP and the first screen "Windows is starting" loads but after that I have a black screen and my computer reboot.

Do you know what is the problem? I should have the next screen about the formatting.

Thank you.

you can't do this without installing SP2 RC for Sccm 2007, and your version doesnt match that

secondly you need to install a hotfix or two for SQL 2008 to get it to work properly with SCCM

ConfigMgr 2007 SP1 customers must apply hot fix KB955262

sql server 2008 sp1 might negate the need for that hotfix,

Thank you, I installed SCCM R2 and SQL SP1 + patch KB955262.

Now the error next to drivers has disappeard.

But I have the same problem: my computer reboot after it tried to do a netwotk connection.

I added the driver vista x86 for the broadcom card and Intel card in the boot image but it is the same problem.

My computers are HP DC7100,DC7600,DC7700,DC7800,DC7900.

Thank you for your help.