gvlaarho

Help: How to add DotNet Framework 3.5 to Windows 8 during OSD Task sequence

Question

Hello,

I have tried everything but no chance to install dot net 3.5 in Windows 8 x64 during task sequence

Commenad used: Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:\\SCCMpri\Win8sxs

\\SCCMpri\Win8sxs with Full access for everyone and SCCM compouter

I always receive The source files could not be found.
Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, ...
error 0x800F0906 or 0x800F081F

Sources \\SCCMpri\Win8sxs comes from DVD and Windows 8 version is Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise - 9200.16384.-.120725-1247_X64

If somebody as an idea, welcome !

Can you not just run the DSIM command with the package source checked and skip xcopy to c:\temp all together? That is... if your Source package just includes the sxs folder and it's contents.

DISM.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /all /limitaccess

Also, shouldn't you generate a Restart Computer (to currently installed OS) afterwards?

To keep it al nice and easy, there is another method to install .NET 3.5 during a task sequence and that is with using the MDT integration. Select the .NET 3.5 feature in the Install Roles and Features -step and create a Task Sequence variable that set the variable WindowsSource to the (networkshare) location with the SXS folder.

To keep it al nice and easy, there is another method to install .NET 3.5 during a task sequence and that is with using the MDT integration. Select the .NET 3.5 feature in the Install Roles and Features -step and create a Task Sequence variable that set the variable WindowsSource to the (networkshare) location with the SXS folder.

Peter - What credentials will be used to connect to the network share?? During this step?

If this is a build and capture TS and therefore the PC is not on the domain, and with no ability to specify credentials, I do not see how a network share could be accessed.

Peter - What credentials will be used to connect to the network share?? During this step?

If this is a build and capture TS and therefore the PC is not on the domain, and with no ability to specify credentials, I do not see how a network share could be accessed.

I believe it would be the network access account.

Hi,

just to share my experience:

Had simmilar issue than Rocket Man. No way to get .net 3.5 to Win 8 even not during capture and deploy, DISM offline or online image servicing. I think that /limitaccess switch is not working and it always tries to connect to update repository to download feature and this is probably critical point when you have SUP deployed. I haven't verified this yet but I'm suspecting that it tries to download it from WSUS as it's update source. Or the other option is that ISOs of Win8 Enterprise in MS VLSC portal are missing some files to enable .net 3.5

What is working for me:

Install clean Windows 8 as virtual machine from original ISO, enable feature from GUI - let it download from microsoft update and then use SCCM capture media to capture image with .Net 3.5

Hi,

just to share my experience:

Had simmilar issue than Rocket Man. No way to get .net 3.5 to Win 8 even not during capture and deploy, DISM offline or online image servicing. I think that /limitaccess switch is not working and it always tries to connect to update repository to download feature and this is probably critical point when you have SUP deployed. I haven't verified this yet but I'm suspecting that it tries to download it from WSUS as it's update source. Or the other option is that ISOs of Win8 Enterprise in MS VLSC portal are missing some files to enable .net 3.5

What is working for me:

Install clean Windows 8 as virtual machine from original ISO, enable feature from GUI - let it download from microsoft update and then use SCCM capture media to capture image with .Net 3.5

did you try this method ? it's working 100% here everytime

Our method is more efficient than anyweb's, although the same command.

1) Map a drive to a network folder containing the appropriate sxs folder for the OS version and CPU architecture, and using credentials that have access to the folder (note that the sxs folder contents will almost certainly change with the release of Windows 8.1 in October). This saves a little hard drive space and uses only required bandwidth on the next step.

2) Run the command using the above mapped drive, so for us it is:

DISM.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:N:\ /LimitAccess /NoRestart /quiet

We use this in our Capture task sequences, to speed up the Deploy task sequences.