ABAdmin

Migrate SCCM 2012 SP1 to new 2012 server

Morning,

I have the opportunity to upgrade my SCCM 2012 SP1 server base OS to Server 2012. In addition, I now have the capacity to spread the load of the SCCM server across multiple SCCM servers. But before I dive in, I would like to know a few things that do not seem to be well documented.

Has anyone tried to Upgrade a Server 2008 R2 to a Server 2012, with said server being an SCCM 2012 server? What were Your results\impressions?

Would it be better to setup new servers instead? I aim to spread the various SCCM functions over several machines (until now, 1 server has been doing ALL the SCCM tasks)

I know its possible to export the Task Sequences, but is it possible to export the Device and User lists from one SCCM to another? How would this affect the SCCM Clients?

Can the backup data be used for this?

My goal is to have 1 main server With the main roles, a Distribution/Update server, a Reporting & Catalog server and then the Fallback server. All will be running Server 2012. This is one site with a Device and user Count of 2000.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

My personal recommendation would be to install new servers into the same site. You can then install the various roles and start to decommission the current box.

I am guessing you have SQL installed on your main server? If so, guidance can be found on the Technet blogs http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2013/04/02/how-to-move-the-configmgr-2012-site-database-to-a-new-sql-server.aspx.

All configuration data will be stored in the database, so you shouldnt need to export/reimport.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I am leaning towards a full rebuild for the SCCM infrastructure, SQL server included, but finding the best option based on other's experience would be helpful.