fsoares

SCCM 2012 R2 licensing

Question

Can any one explain me how the licensing for sccm 2012 r2 works ?

I have around 700 workstations to be managed by the sccm.

is there any kind of CAL that i need to buy ?

the sccm server is licensed, i just dont know how many machines can i manage with that license.

Thank you.

2 answers to this question

you can refer this guide http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/making-sense-of-microsoft-system-center-licensing/ however,you need to contact your TAM (technical account manager) or the Microsoft guy to know about your existing license and going forward, how to manage the licenses .

Can any one explain me how the licensing for sccm 2012 r2 works ?

I have around 700 workstations to be managed by the sccm.

is there any kind of CAL that i need to buy ?

the sccm server is licensed, i just dont know how many machines can i manage with that license.

Thank you.

Here's the long and the short of it. The licenses for using SCCM on an endpoint (a client computer that is not a server) are included as part of the core CAL and enterprise CAL suites. These licenses are called client management licenses. My understanding is that this is part of the volume license agreement with Microsoft. As someone has already mentioned, you should be on the phone with your reseller or TAM confirming licenses.

A server management license is something different. They are not included in the CAL suites, and are more expensive. They are required for every server (whether physical or virtual) you manage with SCCM, if you decide to manage servers with SCCM.

The SCCM management software itself comes with a product key that will activate the software. It will also come with a product key to SQL Standard for using very strictly with SCCM.