tanos

Failed to create virtual directory on distribution point

Question

Hi, i have installed SCCM 2012 Primary Site on Windows Server 2008 R2, and have several Windows Server 2003 SP2 with Distribution Point Sistem Role but in some cases when a try to install another Distribution Point in some W2K3 i recibe this error:

"Failed to create virtual directory"

I have reviewed and tested everything in this article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917485

but I still have the same problems, I even uninstalled IIS on that server and sent again installing the Distribution Point role but I still have problems.

In the distmgr.log I get the following error message:

ERROR ExecMethod(): Failed to execute AppCreate2. error = COM+ was unable to talk to the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator

ERROR CheckDPforDrizzle: Could not find the desired DP ["Display=\\FQDNSERVER\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=CCR"]\\FQDNSERVER\ in the SCF

Error occurred. Performing error cleanup prior to returning.

And in the CM Status Message i get this one:

Failed to create virtual directory on the defined share or volume on distribution point "["Display=\\cr-fi-tein-sv01.FreshDelmonte.corp\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=CCR"]\\cr-fi-tein-sv01.FreshDelmonte.corp\".

Possible cause: Distribution Manager requires that IIS base components be installed on the local Configuration Manager Site Server in order to create the virtual directory. Distribution Manager also requires that IIS Web Services be installed on the Distribution Point Server that needs to support Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).

Solution: Verify that IIS base components are installed on the local Configuration Manager Site Server, and IIS Web Services are installed on the Distribution Point Server.

I have reviewed and conducted many tests but without success, if anyone has been able to solve this problem, I would appreciate.

4 answers to this question

Well after a long time of testing and reviewing articles on the Internet, I find that the real problem is focused on the following error:

ERROR ExecMethod(): Failed to execute AppCreate2. error = COM+ was unable to talk to the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator

and to fix it you just have to follow these instructions:

• net stop msdtc
  • msdtc -uninstall
  • Remove
    • HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Software/MSDTC
    • HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/MSDTC

[*]Reboot

[*]msdtc -install

[*]regsvr32 mtxoci.dll

[*]net start msdtc

[*]msdtc -resetlog

and voila, the Site server resends packets and this finishes configuring the IIS.

References:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867520

http://support.micro...kb/891801/en-us

I created an account to post my solution to this as I spent a few hours trying fixes and no one seemed to have one that worked for me.

1 Enable Windows Authentication on IIS

2 Install IIS 6 WMI Compatibility.

Did those two things and everything worked.

• Like 1