RPC

SCCM 2007 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2

Hi All,

I have tried to install SCCM 2007 R2 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 and I failed. I've installed all the prerequisites on the 2008 R2 server but still when I try to run the install of SCCM the setup reports that Webdav and Bits are not enabled. I'm sure that everything i've done is correct. I've contacted Microsoft but their responds is that SCCM 2007 R2 is not supported on Windows Server 2008 R2.

In the mean time, due to time pressure on the project, I've installed SCCM 2007 R2 on a Windows Server 2008 and that's working fine ( thanks to Anyweb, thnx friend!!! )but still I want to run SCCM 2007 R2 on a Windows Server 2008 R2. Upgrading Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 after installing SCCM 2007 R2 is not an option cause that doesn't work also.

Does anyone have a solution for this minor problem?

Kind Regards...RPC

I havnt tried installing SCCM 2007 R2 in Server 2008R2 yet but will do so soon.

meanwhile I got this feedback from a user here on the forums about webdav 7.5

Originally I tried Server 2008R2 64 bit with the 32 bit version of SCCM 2007. I had a problem because 2008R2 uses webdav 7.5 and even though I had the webdav settings correct, it couldn't seem to read them from the .xml. file - would read True as False. Oddly SCCM could read whether an authoring rule had been set in Webdav 7.5. I wonder if this is due to a difference in the format in the .xml files? Anyway I went back to 2008SP2 and webdav 7.0 and it's fine.

to be clear, are you using SCCM 2007 SP2 r2 or SCCM 2007 SP1 r2 ?

I've used SCCM 2007 SP1 R2. I didn't try SP2 due to the time presure on the project. I had to get the sccm server up and running and did'n't had the time to play around.

At home in my test environment I have tried to upgraded 2008 to 2008 R2 without any positive results. I also deinstalled webdav, downloaded Webdav 7.5 (x64) from microsoft and tried to reinstall it on the 2008 R2 server. That didn't work also could not get it installed " error = Not supported by operation system "

I havnt tried installing SCCM 2007 R2 in Server 2008R2 yet but will do so soon.

meanwhile I got this feedback from a user here on the forums about webdav 7.5

to be clear, are you using SCCM 2007 SP2 r2 or SCCM 2007 SP1 r2 ?

Well... it was really straight forward and much of the same. The only difference was that you can now install WebDAV as a part of the IIS install of Windows Server 2008 R2. The rest is exactly the same, with creating a Authoring Rule and making the required WebDAV Settings.

The only problem that I had was with the Reporting Services, but I am not sure if it was just bad luck or the combination of 2008 R2 with ConfigMgr 2007 SP2 R2. I will post on my blog about that, but until then you can also find the solution here: http://blogs.technet.com/configmgrteam/archive/2009/05/14/faq-sql-reporting-services-integration-with-system-center-configuration-manager-2007-r2.aspx

thnx Peter

I've tried the sp2 and it's running smoothly. In the weekend i'll configure sccm sp2 so i can see what will happen. I'll read your post on Reporting Services. By the way did you install SQL ( 2008 ) localy incl. SQL Reporting or do you use only the Reporting Service of SCCM. untill now i've only installed SCCM with local SQL incl. RS cause i find the RS of SCCM to limited.

Kind Regards.

Rob

Well... it was really straight forward and much of the same. The only difference was that you can now install WebDAV as a part of the IIS install of Windows Server 2008 R2. The rest is exactly the same, with creating a Authoring Rule and making the required WebDAV Settings.

The only problem that I had was with the Reporting Services, but I am not sure if it was just bad luck or the combination of 2008 R2 with ConfigMgr 2007 SP2 R2. I will post on my blog about that, but until then you can also find the solution here: http://blogs.technet.com/configmgrteam/archive/2009/05/14/faq-sql-reporting-services-integration-with-system-center-configuration-manager-2007-r2.aspx

By the way did you install SQL ( 2008 ) localy incl. SQL Reporting or do you use only the Reporting Service of SCCM.

I indeed installed SQL 2008 SP1 locally including SQL Reporting.

Keep in mind that since ConfigMgr 2007 R2 you 've got two types of reporting in ConfigMgr. There is the basic Reporting Point and there is the Reporting Service Point. The Reporting Services Point uses (and needs) SQL Reporting. See also: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161824.aspx

WebDav installation package only works for IIS 7.0 not IIS 7.5 (which 2008 R2 has). So to fix this, in the IIS Role under Server Manager, Go to Add Role Services and add WebDav Publishing listed under "Common HTTP Features." Then follow the steps above to configure the WebDav in IIS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc431377.aspx

thx

WebDav installation package only works for IIS 7.0 not IIS 7.5 (which 2008 R2 has). So to fix this, in the IIS Role under Server Manager, Go to Add Role Services and add WebDav Publishing listed under "Common HTTP Features." Then follow the steps above to configure the WebDav in IIS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc431377.aspx

thx

good info, thanks for sharing, i've updated the guide with this

cheers

niall