Malik4u

WDS Error and DHCP Problem

Question

Here is step pby step broble

I have server machine HP Pro , on this i have installed 2008 server two NIC but disabeled 1 and the one i am using give address: 10,0,0,1

Then installed AD DS , DHCP and DNS (with AD DS). Then installed WDS, configured all according to the guides form microsoft, but when i run IPCONFIG/ALL it gives me DCHP is not Enabeled, if i change my NIC IP to automatic then i can see DHCP enabeled.

Client: i got one compaq laptop as master PC, i enabeled PXE boot, but when i do this , it give me erro rnot found DHCP or DHCP Proxy, and then boot form Hard Disk

Can some one advise me

After some configurations ( now i have enabeled the 2nd NIC as well and using internet from that interface, now my compaq machine is able to boot from network and it shows me the boot menu option (as selected in WDS and not sure if i should do this while using WDS since for WDS it is recommended you have only NIC.) and it starts the initial processing ... in short while it give me a pop up, "WDS Client: An Error occured while obtaining an IP address from DHCP Server. Please check to ensure that there is an operational DHCP server on this network segment"

Also just noticed that DHCP both IPv4 nad IPv6 showing a small red cross and , i have checked DCHP client and Server service is running under services, i have restarted as well but still not work.

I wil be so obliged if someone can help me with this.

Configuratiosn done according to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770637(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_2

3.From the WDS guide, which is very good i try,

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/261-how-can-i-capture-an-image-using-wds/

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/93-windows-deployment-services-wds/

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/195-how-can-i-sysprep-windows-vista/

then after boot iamge loades i got error:

WDSClient : An error occurred while obtaining an IP address from DHCP Server. Please check to ensure that the us an operational DHCP server on this network segment.

4. Shift+F10, do IPCONFIG/renew , "it gives error, An error occure while releasing interface loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find file specefied. The system failed as no adopter is in the state permissible for this operation."

\

.....My request.... someone can ready my problem and let me know how to fix it ...

7 answers to this question

did you configure a DHCP server ?

Yes, i have configured, below i will attach scree shots. also in WDS i have configured the DHCP options.

Port 67 and 60 is also set in WDS for the DHCP (both options are checked).

post-4293-12586991392491_thumb.jpg

I have done the follwoing configurations: Avaiable at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770637(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_2

To configure Windows Deployment Services to run on the same computer as Microsoft DHCP

Using the MMC Using WDSUTIL

1.Right-click the server, and then click Properties.

2.On the DHCP tab, select Do not listen on port 67 and Configure DHCP Option 60 to PXEClient (for Windows Server 2008 R2, this option is labeled Configure DHCP option 60 to indicate that this server is also a PXE server).

1.Click Start, right-click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.

2.Run WDSUTIL /Set-Server /UseDHCPPorts:No /DHCPOption60:Yes.

To configure Windows Deployment Services to run on the same computer as non-Microsoft DHCP

2.On the DHCP tab, select Do not listen on port 67.

3.Use your DHCP server tools to set the option 60 tag to PXEClient.

2.Run WDSUTIL /Set-Server /UseDHCPPorts:No.

3.Use your DHCP server tools to set the option 60 tag to PXEClient.

To turn on the DHCP authorization requirement

N/A

2.Run WDSUTIL /Set-Server /RogueDetection:Yes.

To authorize the server in DHCP

1.Ensure that you are a domain administrator in the root domain of the forest or an enterprise administrator.

2.Right-click the server, and then click Properties.

3.On the Advanced tab, select Authorize the Windows Deployment Server in DHCP.

1.Ensure that you are a domain administrator in the root domain of the forest or an enterprise administrator.

2.Click Start, right-click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.

3.Run WDSUTIL /Set-Server /Authorize:Yes.

Client Requests

To configure the server to answer clients

2.On the PXE Response Settings tab, select the appropriate option.

2.Do one of the following:

To respond to all network boot requests, run WDSUTIL /Set-Server /AnswerClients:All.

To respond only to requests from prestaged computers, run WDSUTIL /Set-Server /AnswerClients:Known.

To not answer any requests, run WDSUTIL /Set-Server /AnswerClients:None.

To set a delay in the servers answers to network requests

2.On the PXE Response Settings tab, set the specified time to wait.

2.Run WDSUTIL /Set-Server /ResponseDelay:X, where X is the amount of time (in seconds) you want the server to wait before responding to clients.

_____________________________________________________________________________________Also your post as well states the same:

Configuring DHCP option 60

The default configuration of Windows Deployment Services assumes that the Microsoft DHCP server and Windows Deployment Services server are on separate physical computers. When DHCP and Windows Deployment Services exist on the same computer, DHCP must inform the client computer that there is a PXE server listening on the network by including DHCP option tag 60 in the DHCP Offer packet.

To configure DHCP option 60 using the Windows Deployment Services snap-in

On the Start menu, click Administrative Tools, and click Windows Deployment Services.

Click to expand the Servers list.

Right-click the server and click Properties.

On the Server Properties page, click the DHCP tab.

On the DHCP Options page, click Configure DHCP Option 60 to 'PXEClient'.

Additional considerations and references

To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Account Operators group, Domain Admins group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

Manage Server Properties

To Configure DHCP option 60 using WDSUTIL

At a command prompt, type: WDSUTIL /set-server /DHCPoption60:yes

WDSUTIL, the Windows Deployment Services command-line management tool, requires elevated privileges to run.

Manage Server Properties

Configuring port 67

Because DHCP listens on port 67 by default, when Windows Deployment Services and DHCP exist on the same computer, the Windows Deployment Services PXE server is not able to listen on port 67 for incoming PXE boot requests.

To configure port 67 using the Windows Deployment Services snap-in

On the Start menu, select Administrative Tools, and click Windows Deployment Services.

Click to expand the Servers list.

Right-click the server and click Properties.

On the Server Properties page, click the DHCP tab.

On the DHCP Options page, click Do not listen on port 67.

To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Account Operators group, Domain Admins group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

Manage Server Properties

To configure port 67 using WDSUTIL at a command prompt

At a command prompt, type: WDSUTIL /set-server /usedhcpports:no.

WDSUTIL, the Windows Deployment Services command-line management tool, requires elevated privileges to run.

Manage Server Properties

Important

Both the Configure DHCP Option Tag #60 to PXEClient and Do not listen on port 67 options must be selected if Microsoft DHCP and Windows Deployment Services are running on the same computer""

.....so i am still in problem :( i have 2 interfaces of NIC , i try to diable one that i was using for the internet , bit same result, currently i have enabled both interfaces, one is configured with static IP accordingly and on other i am using Internet, this interface DO NOT has static IP.

It sounds to me like it is a network adapter problem on the client. If PE is seeing a loopback adapter I think the problem is not necessarily with your server. This is probably related to driver availability on the target. Make sure you have the right driver loaded in your boot WIM.

Here is a TechNet thread that describes how to do this.

There is tool at www.smartdeploy.com that uses WIM but does driver management through a console. Driver package templates are downloadable here. They might have something that can help.

Hi All,

I'm unable to run WDSUTIL even i have local and domain admin access.

C:\Users\administrator>WDSUTIL /get-server /show:all /detailed

Windows Deployment Services Management Utility [Version 6.1.7600.16385]

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error: You must have administrative access to this computer in order to run

this utility.

Thanks in advance! Please provide the solution....

An error occurred while trying to execute the command.

Error Code: 0x2E4

Error Description: The requested operation requires elevation.