anyweb

Upgrading ConfigMgr client after Service Pack upgrade

This is one way of updating your SCCM ConfigMgr Client after an upgrade. There are more ways of doing this. This guide is done in a Lab Environment. Please refer to Technet for recommended practise.

After you have updated ConfigMgr from Sp1 to Sp2 you will have all your configmgr clients still running the old version of ConfigMgr (Sp1).

Identify Client Versions

To find out how many are using the old client you can use a built in report called Count SMS Client Versions, right click on the report and choose Run.

count sms client versions.jpg

the report will show you how many clients you have running the old (sp1) client, and if any, how many are running the newer sp2 client.

sms client numbers.jpg

so in this Lab I have 13 clients that need to be updated to the newer client version.

Create a New Client from Definition Package

One of the steps when deploying Operating Systems involves installation of the Configuration Manager Client (Setup Windows and ConfigMgr Step), as a result we want our Client Package files updated to the new version, so If you have not already done so you need to create a client from Definition package. (If you already have a Client Package from definition, simply update that to it's distribution points and you'll be fine.)

Expand Software Distribution and right click on it, choose New, Package From Definition

new package from definition.jpg

click Next when the create package from definition wizard appears

create package from definition.jpg

choose configuration manager client upgrade and next

configuration manager client upgrade.jpg

choose always obtain files from a source directory and click next

always obtain files from a source directory.jpg

choose Network Path (UNC Name) and specify the directory containing the source files for this package as \\SERVERNAME\SMS_XXX\Client

where SERVERNAME is your SCCM server, SMS_xxx is SMS_ and your site code (eg: SMS_WDN)

specify the directory containing the source files for this package.jpg

click Finish at the summary screen

Distribute the Client Package to your Distribution Points

If you want to install the latest version of your Client in Operating System Deployments then you'll need the client package from definition updated to your Distribution Points. Expand the client package you just created, click on Distribution Points. Choose New Distribution Points.

new dp.jpg

when the wizard appears click next

dp next.jpg

select your distribution points for the client

dist points.jpg

click next and then close when done.

Push the client to Targetted Collections

In this example we will push an installation of the client to the All Systems collection, this is in a Lab so this is ok. In a production environment you will want to test this on small groups first and work your way up.

Right click on the All Systems collection and choose Install Client

install client.jpg

set your options making sure that Always Install is selected

client push.jpg

click Finish when done

to verify the installation of the new client is happening, on the clients open task manager and look for ccmsetup.exe

ccmsetup.jpg

after some time you can verify the client version on the client

client versions.jpg

As the client starts getting installed, the report we used in the beginning will show the new numbers increasing

increasing.jpg

I tried this procedure but ran into some trouble.

The client is not upgraded. It still shows the old version - 6221.

ccmsetup.exe runs on the client machine. It runs for a long time....like 15 minutes and then disappears. I looked into all ...CCM\logs but could not find any reference. There is something in mtrmgr.log but nothing interesting.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?

It is working now!

Here is how I solved my issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/configmgrsetup/thread/62057efd-29ca-4261-bf8b-5865220a170f?prof=required

and

http://iboyd.net/index.php/2009/01/09/troubleshooting-sccm-and-bits-downloads/

I tried this procedure but ran into some trouble.

The client is not upgraded. It still shows the old version - 6221.

ccmsetup.exe runs on the client machine. It runs for a long time....like 15 minutes and then disappears. I looked into all ...CCM\logs but could not find any reference. There is something in mtrmgr.log but nothing interesting.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?