anyweb

How can I capture Windows 7

Question

As this is requested a lot, here's how to make it easier for you to Capture Windows 7. Note that this method is not recommended as you should use the Build and Capture method to capture Windows 7 and the computer should not join the domain, that said, if you still want to capture a domain joined computer and you are willing to deploy that captured image (with registry settings from Domain Joining, gpo's etc...) then read on...

Import the following Task Sequence into ConfigMgr by right clicking on the Task Sequences node of Operating System Deployment in ConfigMgr, and choose Import.

capture Windows 7 X86.xml

Once Imported you will have to supply it with two packages namely your X86 boot image and a new package called AutoLogin_windows7

The Autologin_windows7 packgage contains a registry file and a program

the Program is as follows:

reg import "autologin_windows7.reg"

autologin_enable.jpg

the properties are as follows:

autologin_properties.jpg

and the autologin_windows7.reg registry file contains the following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"DefaultUserName"="Administrator"
"DefaultPassword"="password"

replace password above with the local admin password...

once done, make sure to edit your task sequence so that it's using your X86 boot image by right clicking on the Task Sequence, select properties and select the correct boot image,

boot image.jpg

then make sure that the Task Sequence is using your new autologin package by right clicking on the Task Sequence and choose Edit,

autologin via registry.jpg

finally advertise it to a capture windows 7 collection and add a computer to that collection using direct membership

capture collection.jpg

After you've added the computer to the collection, start it up, login to Windows, open control panel, open the RAP (run advertised programs) and kick off the Capture windows 7 task sequence.

Side note: you'll need to create a step in your deploy task sequence to remove the registry autologin values otherwise the deployed image will attempt auto login on first boot..

Further Reading:

1. Auto Login as part of OSD Task Sequence

2. Login Single Domain User for Caching After Imaging via Task Sequence

the standard build and capture task sequence uses registry 'hooks' to do its hidden magic (auto login and all that), if you can find a way of accessing them to get around this workaround then please share :)

cheers

niall

well i'm not 100% sure, read this

and i quote from the technet link

Restart Computer

Updated: December 1, 2008

Applies To: System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Use the Restart Computer task sequence step to restart the computer running the task sequence. After the restart, the computer will automatically continue with the next step in the task sequence. This task sequence action can be run in either a standard operating system or the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE). For information about task sequence variables for this task sequence action, see Restart Computer Task Sequence Action Variables.

in my testing it doesn't autologin, hence the registry hack

feel free to find out how to get it to work though :) i'm as interested as you in this

cheers

niall

ok anyweb now my concern is as follows

i have an OS here already used with one of the customers and he installed on it 22 different applications like msn messenger , skype , yahoo, adobe , chrome , an antivirus and more

my question is :

is there anyway to CAPTURE the above OS as a full image by itself ( usually in all the guides i saw that we can have the image based on the OS itself then we attach with it some packages to be installed when deploying the captured OS ) then deploying that captured image to several computers

so ill have an image captured including those apps already ( like norton ghost images as an example ) then simply i just target a computer and deploy ?

is that possible ?

if yes then how can it be done please

thanks