anyweb

Using Update Lists when deploying Monthly Updates

Question

In Part 1 of this series we created an Update List and Deployment Management Task, in Part 2 we targetted the Deployment Management Task and Verified that it worked visually and using logs, now we will analyse our compliance level for the Update List using built in Reports in ConfigMgr.

Note: To see Technet's page about Software Compliance please see here

Compliance 1 - Overall Compliance

The first thing we want to establish is how many computers in a specific collection are compliant for the Update List we created. This will give us a good idea of how our patching is going. Knowing which computers are compliant (or not) will enable us to ascertain the effectiveness of our patching regime. Please also note, that all reports here are are done in a Lab environment where many of the computers in the respective collections are virtual machines that may not be powered on or even exist any more...

Expand the Reporting Node in configmgr and select reports, on the right pane enter Compliance in the Look For field and press enter. Select the Compliance 1 - Overall Compliance report.

compliance 1 - overall complicane.jpg

Right click on the report and choose Run

right click run.jpg

When the report appears we will need to enter some data

enter report details.jpg

So lets click on the Value button to the right of the input box and select a value, in this case we will select our Windows XP Security Updates - March 2010 update list from the list of update lists available.

select value.jpg

Do the same for our Collection ID (choose the collection we targetted...)

all windows xp systems.jpg

Once done, click on Display to display the report.

display report.jpg

When the report appears you can see how many computers are compliant (or not) for that Update List, in the example below, 2 computers are compliant (it's a Lab).

compliant report.jpg

If you want to get more info about the computers in the report, click on one of the arrows to drill down further into the report.

opens the target.jpg

Once the computers are listed you can get even more details by clicking on the arrow to the left of the computername

more details.jpg

Once that report appears you can further sort that report by colums, so click on bulletin ID twice to sort the new bulletin ID's

select bulletin ID.jpg

Now we can see that the March Updates we selected originally in Step 3 of this post are installed and therefore not required.

approved and installed.jpg

Now go back and look at all your Non-Compliant and/or Compliance State Unknown systems to see what they report, what they are missing and why.

In the next Part of this series, we will look at some more compliance reports for our Update List.

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Hi there,

Can I start by saying how impressed I am with this site and the wealth of resource it offers. Excellent work!!

I've used SMS fairly intensively a few years ago and now looking at getting backing into it with SCCM. I have a lab environment with the following

1 x Site Sever

1 x SQL 2005

1 x WSUS

1 x Win7 Client

I have successfully setup software updates and can deploy my patches to my Windows 7 client with relative easy. I have one question regarding compliancy which Im failing to understand and is probably an easy question to answer...

When I view my 'search folder' under 'update repository' I have filtered only Windows 7 relevant updates. I only have 1 Windows 7 client however the '% Compliant' column only shows 50% complaint on the updates. Why is this only 50% and not 100% since I only have 1 client. What does this column signify?

Regards,

Rob