emmathews83

How to create a Driver Package

Question

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create one image for multiple laptops, but now I'm getting stuck on the part that applies the driver package and was wondering if someone could give me a hand on how they did it. Here is what I did:

-First I copied the driver folders over from one of the Dell's that I am testing, it's an E6510: Now I copied over the folders that start with an R but the rest were created when I created the Driver package.:

post-6472-12816965226294_thumb.jpg,

-Next I imported the drivers into SCCM and created a package called Dell E6510 Drivers XP.

-After I did this I created a Task Sequence to install the Base Image with the drivers. I added the WMI Query to the step, but I was also trying to use the check box to select a Mass Storage driver but it will not find anything.

post-6472-12816965350489_thumb.jpg

Please help :huh:

Hi,

Have you seen our docs on www.delltechcenter.com?? Specifically, take a look here: http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Dell+Business+Client+Operating+System+Deployment

Hit the "Download the CAB Files" link to download drivers for the E6410.

Also from that page, you'll see that we have an XP WalkThrough as well as a "Vista WalkThrough" (this Vista Example is very similar to win7).

Dealing with Mass storage on XP is a bit of a pain, but if you follow the walk through, you should be able to handle it.

hope that helps,

Greg

I followed the directions from the following site: My link

I download the cab file for the XP E6510 extracted the files like it said and created a Driver package, updated the distribution point twice.

Added the two Driver sequences to my Task Sequence, for both I added the WMI Query

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE '%Latitude E6510%'

post-6472-12820508157226_thumb.jpg

post-6472-12820508356849_thumb.jpg

It went through the image install, but most of the drivers didn't install.

post-6472-12820508711206_thumb.jpg

Is there something else I'm doing wrong or have to do?

ok assuming you have added ALL those drivers into the package as per the link (had to re-read your post, sorry) do you see the drivers listed anywhere on c:\drivers\?

i'll try and do a test here in my lab but it may be tomorrow before I post a result

hmm i simply used the IRRT step (instead of both) and it installed all drivers perfectly on a Dell E4200 here

irrt.jpg

device manager

e4200.JPG

i didn't do Jason's step but it may help you, i don't have the same hardware as you so cannot test that model.

during the install a c:\_SMSTasksequence folder is created as normal and in there was drivers, along with several other folders number 1 to 31 or so, in addition there was a TEXTMODE folder with some iastor drivers *inf sys etc* and a TextSetup.OEM file which contained the following text

[Disks]

d1 = "OS Deployment Disk", \txtsetup.oem, \

[Defaults]

scsi = iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME

[scsi]

iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME = "Intel® ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller"

[Config.iaStor]

value = "", tag, REG_DWORD, 1b

value = "", ErrorControl, REG_DWORD, 1

value = "", Group, REG_SZ, "SCSI Miniport"

value = "", Start, REG_DWORD, 0

value = "", Type, REG_DWORD, 1

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME]

id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104", "iaStor"

[Files.scsi.iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME]

driver = d1, iaStor.sys, iaStor

inf = d1, iaStor.inf

catalog = d1, iaStor.cat

I tried doing what you did and got the same results, then I tried doing it the way Jason did it with running the extra command and it worked with one error.

While it's running the command it gives me the following error, I didn't get the screen shot of it while it was uploading the image, but was able to recreate the error trying to run the command in Windows when I tried it your way.

post-6472-12821418648245_thumb.jpg

Now when I hit cancel, it asks me if I want to continue setup without coping this file, I click Yes and it goes ahead and install the driver. Then I do a restart and everything is installed with no error messages in Device Manager

post-6472-12821422792854_thumb.jpg

Now I looked to see what driver it was and found out it was the video driver.

Also, when I restarted the computer it pops up the following boxes:

post-6472-12821423760378_thumb.png

post-6472-128214245092_thumb.png

post-6472-12821426357267_thumb.jpg

I click run on all fiive of these popups and everything seems fine till the computer restarts then it pops up those boxes again to run.

maybe the files themselves are blocked (exe's) to unblock them right click and choose unblock or copy all the drivers to a FAT file system then back to the drivers folder and then repackage them.

there is one other option, in the Apply Drivers package step, select 'Do unattended installation of unsigned drivers on Versions of Windows where this is allowed@

but at least you are getting somewhere,