Kingskawn

DELL and drivers

Question

I'm new to Dell systems and with SCCM I want to create an automatic way of installing drivers and maybe Dell applications.

For the moment I'm trying Dell Client System Update but I got 1 model (Optiplex 780) that doesn't see any drivers or dell applications so my question is what else to use?

Otherwise there is the Dell Client Deployment Pack for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 but the thing is that there are a multitude of applications like DCCU, CCTK, OMCI, CAB, ... that don't say which one is the best in order to get machines installed and 100% functional.

I need to run this in a task sequence and not from another application installed on a server. The only thing that could be usefull is a repository on SCCM server or another one with all drivers and applications. That's what I do for Lenovo and HP.

For Lenovo I have ThinInstaller which is a marvelous program and for HP I have SSM and they both work! :P

So to all the Dell Admins, what do you use to make a good Win7 gold build?

Yes for some of them (LatitudeE6500-LatitudeE6510-Optiplex780) but not for the LatitudeD620, LatitudeD830, OptiplexGX620 and Optiplex740.

Yes for some of them (LatitudeE6500-LatitudeE6510-Optiplex780) but not for the LatitudeD620, LatitudeD830, OptiplexGX620 and Optiplex740.

Hello

Have you tried DCSU+Dell Repository manager?

Install and Launch DCSU with commands during OS deployment, and point it to the Local Dell Repository Manager driver share. Just like Lenovo Thininstaller and Lenovo Update Retriever.

Thanks for you input but I already use this method in my SCCM task sequence ;-) just like Lenovo and HP tool.

Nice :) Do you have some sort of "how to" for the Dell Solution?

I have used the Dell Repository Manager (Client), and exported all the updates for my models from the ftp.dell.com (with the gui) to a local repository, then saved my local repository. So I have some folders with drivers in the local repository with a catalog.xml

When i try to run the client on a computer with dcsu-cli.exe /catalog \\server\dellrepository\catalog.xml it just gives me an error when the download starts :(

If I run the DCSU in gui, and configure it to go towards the local repository it works.

The problem is the command line client..

Thanks for the response :)

post-3627-0-95557600-1296906246_thumb.jpg

post-3627-0-69189200-1296906254_thumb.jpg

Ok, what I do is the following

capturefm.png

1. I install the "Dell Client System Update" application on the machine.

2. Then I copy the settings.xml that is in the same package as the Dell Client System Update package on the server and I copy this to the installed dell folder on the machine with a batch that I call "dcsu_copy.bat"

copy %~dp0\Settings.xml "%ProgramFiles%\Dell\ClientSystemUpdate\"

3. Then I run the dcsu_cli.exe with the command: dcsu-cli.exe /silent /log c:\Windows\Temp\dcsu.log

Start in: %ProgramFiles%\Dell\ClientSystemUpdate\

Timeout: 15min

Ok, what I do is the following

capturefm.png

1. I install the "Dell Client System Update" application on the machine.

2. Then I copy the settings.xml that is in the same package as the Dell Client System Update package on the server and I copy this to the installed dell folder on the machine with a batch that I call "dcsu_copy.bat"

copy %~dp0\Settings.xml "%ProgramFiles%\Dell\ClientSystemUpdate\"

3. Then I run the dcsu_cli.exe with the command: dcsu-cli.exe /silent /log c:\Windows\Temp\dcsu.log

Start in: %ProgramFiles%\Dell\ClientSystemUpdate\

Timeout: 15min

Thanks a lot for this:) I will give this one a try, my way only works for the gui client, not command line.

So if I understand you right, you do not need to run dcsu-cli.exe with the /catalog \\server\repository\catalog.xml because this is specified in the settings.xml? And you enter the server\catalog.xml information in the gui client before you export the settings?

For 64bit computers I guess dcsu-cli.exe should start in: %ProgramFiles(X86)%\.... :)

Thanks a lot for this:) I will give this one a try, my way only works for the gui client, not command line.

So if I understand you right, you do not need to run dcsu-cli.exe with the /catalog \\server\repository\catalog.xml because this is specified in the settings.xml? And you enter the server\catalog.xml information in the gui client before you export the settings?

For 64bit computers I guess dcsu-cli.exe should start in: %ProgramFiles(X86)%\.... :)

For 64bit yes

Be sure to create and save your settings.xml file on the server that hosts the "Dell repository manager". And then copy that file in your package. I got version 1.2.155