anyweb

using SCCM 2012 beta2 in a LAB - Part 7. Deploying Windows 7 Enterprise

In Part 1. of this series we Installed SCCM 2012, in Part 2 we started to configure it. In Part 3, we configed Beta 2 some more by enabling Active Directory discovery methods, adding some site system roles, configuring the computer client agent and client push settings and finally doing a manual client installation to verify it all worked, in Part 4 we looked at installing an application using Application Management and the Software Catalog and the Software Center features of SCCM 2012, and in Part 5, we added the FSP, SLP, SMP, SUP. In Part 6 we got our SCCM 2012 server ready for Deploying Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 so that we can start deploying some Windows 7 clients to enhance our LAB, now we will create a Build and Capture Task Sequence.

The Build and Capture Task Sequence

A build and capture task sequence is used to create the Master (or Core) image. The image created in the build and capture task is the image to be used in the Deploy Task Sequence. You would typically add only FAT applications to the master image, such as Office 2010, ForeFront Antivirus SAP and so on. Windows updates are also important as we want our clients to be secure. Therefore you must use a Server Locator Point in the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step in the Task sequence. That way the workgroup computer can find the windows updates correctly from the SUP. Do NOT join the master image computer to a domain, workgroup only. The captured image will contain the base Operating System, plus some key applications, plus windows updates and some patches/fixes. Advertise this task sequence to a Build and Capture Collection, add computers to that collection via direct membership or computer association. Do NOT join the computer to the domain, keep it clean, free of GPO’s and other domain changes (registry pollution…) Virtual machines are the best for creating Images, keep the image hardware agnostic, vmware or hyperV are recommended, hyperV doesn’t require nic drivers… Only add FAT applications, apps that change infrequently within the organisation, such as Office 2010. Software size should also be considered. Add windows updates by specifying SLP in the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step.

Step 1. Create the Task Sequence

Perform the following on the vNext server as SMSadmin

In the Configmgr Console click on Task Sequences under Software Library, Operating System Deployment. In the Ribbon click on Create Task Sequence

create task sequence.png

when the wizard appears, choose build and capture a reference operating system image

build and capture a reference operating system image.png

fill in the image details and click on browse to select the boot image

build and capture ts info.png

as we are Build and Capturing a X64 image, we need to specify the X64 bit boot image

x64 boot image.png

so it now looks like this

bac ts info.png

in the next screen we get to select our Operating System Installation source Image that we added in Part 6, in addition to this i'd recommend you DON'T enter the Product Key and that you DO enter an Administrator Password

use admin password.png

next we should join a workgroup, to keep the build and capture image clean (as explained above)

workgroup.png

and next we get to install the Configmgr Package from definition, select it and if you want windows updates installed (we havn't created any windows updates deployments yet.. we will soon) then specify your SLP settings as per this post

slp etc.png

for the software updates step select All Software Updates

all software updates.png

for the Install Applications step, select the Yellow Starburst and pick an application you've added previously

do it again (click on the Yellow Starburst) and add some more apps, this is to see multiple apps getting installed in one step, place a checkmark in if an application installation fails, continue installing other applications in the list

if an app.png

this is Windows 7 so click through the system preparation step, and fill in the Image Properties

image props.png

and fill in the capture image details (I created a folder called captures in \\vnext\sources\captures and added the 2k8r2\SMSADMIN account as the capture account, make sure you type the capture account details correctly otherwise you'll have a long wait until the next Build and Capture is done and you get to see if your capture actually succeeds or not due to a typo)

capture image settings updated.png

click next at the summary and review the confirmation screen.

capture confirmation screen.png

Step 2. Import Computer Information

We need our Virtual Machine to be imported into SCCMs database before we can add it to our Build and Capture collection so lets do that. In the ConfigMgr console, click on Assets and Compliance, Devices, and in the Ribbon click on Import Computer Information. If you havn't already created a Virtual Machine do so now, we need one with 1 gig of Virtual Ram and we need to know it's MAC address.

import computer information.png

when the wizard appears choose import single computer

import single.png

fill in the computername (pick one !) and the MAC address

computername.png

click next, next and add the computer to the All Systems collection

add to all systems.png

success !

successfully added.png

you can check the All Systems collection (Update Membership and press F5 to refresh), your computer should appear.)

computer in all systems.png

Step 3. Create A Build and Capture Collection

In the ConfigMgr console, click on Assets and Compliance, Device Collections, and in the Ribbon click on Create Device Collection

create new collection.png

fill in some details about the collection and click on Browse beside Limited Collection, select All Systems

new collection.png

for Membership rules we will add the computer we imported above via a direct membership rule, click on New Rule, Direct Rule

direct rule.png

click next at the Create Direct Membership Rule Wizard, and select the following

• Resource Class: System Resource
  • Attribute Name: MAC Address
  • Value: 00:00:00:00:00:00

obviously fill in the MAC address of your Virtual Machine that you intend to use for the Build and Capture

mac address.png

click next, you should see our imported computer, select it and click next

selected computer.png

after the Direct Membership rule wizard completed successfully screen...click close and then click Next (in the Create Collection Wizard) and next again

collection done.png

Now that our collection is created, lets Deploy our Build and Capture Task Sequence to that collection

collection with one member.png

Step 4. Deploy the Build and Capture Task Sequence

In Software Library, select Task Sequences, select our Build and Capture Task sequence and right click, choose Deploy

deploy ts.png

when the Deploy Software wizard appears, click on browse beside collection and select our Build and Capture collection

browse to bac.png

and select our VNEXT distribution points

vnext dp in deploy.png

click next, and select Make available to boot media and PXE

make available to boot media.png

click next through the schedule (dont set anything), and at the User Experience window

user experience.png

for Distribution Points note the warning in yellow (we'll come to that in the next part of this series)

network access account.png

click next and review the confirmation, congrats ! we are getting places :) In the next Part, we'll create the Network Access Account and capture our Windows 7 X64 SP1 Enterprise image

deploy wizard completed.png

Note: Repeat the above steps (Step 1. onwards...) to create a Build and Capture Windows 7 Enterprise task sequence so we have both Windows 7 and Windows 7 SP1 images captured.

both task sequences.png

Hello,

Upto Lab Part 6 everything went fine. Now, I am at Part 7 - having problem with PXE boot. I created VM on Hyper-v - added legacy adapter and changed BIOS to boot from legacy adapter. For some reason, the VM is unable to contact vnext server (sccm2012) to boot. I have enabled pxe service on distribution point. What is missing? no clue. Will keep searching google and see, if, i can find a solution.

Appreciate, if any one can help me.

I am not running DHCP on vnext server (sccm2012). Getting dynamic IP address from Linksys router.

I am not running DHCP on vnext server (sccm2012). Getting dynamic IP address from Linksys router.

that's most likely your issue, what reason do you have for NOT running dhcp server on in your hyperV lab (don't you have a domain controller ?)

Thanks friend.

I have no valid reason to put why, I was not running DHCP. I will disable DHCP from router and install DHCP on DC (2008 R2) and continue with the lab exercise. Will keep you updated.

You are worthy of MVP award from MS. This site and your material has helped me a lot to learn many new stuff.

Thanks

Ram

Hi, great series, but i'm a little confused by this step

Step 2. Import Computer Information

We need our Virtual Machine to be imported into SCCMs database before we can add it to our Build and Capture collection so lets do that. In the ConfigMgr console, click on Assets and Compliance, Devices, and in the Ribbon click on Import Computer Information. If you havn't already created a Virtual Machine do so now, we need one with 1 gig of Virtual Ram and we need to know it's MAC address.

The link points to the beta 1 and the use of HyperV - I'm using vmware, so presumably no issue, but I'm not sure which sections of this link I'm supposed to use, and where this then links back in with this page.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,