Adam K

PXE OSD always available to all computers?

Question

I've got my SCCM build working nicely now, and I can deploy operating systems from PXE to both known and unknown computers, now i'm trying sort out the logistics of deploying to a few machines one at a time.

Prior to SCCM, we used WDS for OSD, where you could F12 any machine and it would give you the options to re-build/image the computer. I want the same sort of thing again, i.e. I don't want to have to go into the SCCM console to manually add a computer a specific collection (i.e. "Deploy WIndows 7") that has an OSD task sequence permenantly advertised to it.

Now I could have the OSD task sequence permenantly advertised to 'Unknown Computers', which would work, but only on the machines that don't have their GUID/MAC details recorded. Also I suppose I could permenantly advertise the task sequence to 'All Client Workstations', but then when the workstation is built, there will always be the OSD advertisment visible within Windows. I suppose I could surpress the advertisment messages, but it still seems a bit sketchy. Is this the only way to achieve what I'm after?

2 answers to this question

create a deployment collection, say 'Deploy Windows 7 to ALL known and Unknown'

using direct membership add All Known client Machines (Windows xp and Windows 7) and add All Unknown computers to that collections direct membership rules

all known and unknown.png

the All Known client Machines query will be something like this

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion like "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation%" or SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion like "%Windows 7%"

be aware that if you DONT want the task sequence to appear in RAP (run advertised programs) to limit it to an OS you are NOT using in your organistation like Windows Vista X64.

cheers

niall

Nice one, cheers.

However, it turns out that we pretty much have at least one computer with every Operating System on the list of 'specified client platforms', which is really annoying. We only have 1 machine running Windows 2000 so I've set it to run on that, seems to work fine on the other computers, they're not seeing the advert anymore, but can still PXE boot and run the task sequence. Seems a bit stupid that we have to get around the issue by doing that though.