anyweb

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 11. Adding the Reporting Services Point role

In Part 1 of this series we got our AD and SCCM servers ready, and then we installed System Center 2012 Configuration Manager as a standalone Primary site. In Part 2 we configured the SCCM server further by adding some Windows Server roles necessary for the following Configuration Manager 2012 functionality, Software Update Point (SUP) and Operating System Deployment. In Part 3 we configured the server further by Enabling Discovery methods and creating Boundary's and Boundary Groups. In Part 4 we configured Client Settings, Added roles and Distributed the Configmgr Client to our Computers within the LAB, then in Part 5 we enabled the Endpoint Protection Role and configured Endpoint Protection settings and targeted a collection called All Windows 7 Computers with these settings and policies.

In Part 6 we configured our SUP further to Deploy software updates to our All Windows 7 Computers and Build Windows 7 X64 collections. In Part 7 we used the Build and Capture process to create our Base Windows 7 X64 wim image. In Part 8 we created a USMT 4 package to migrate the users data using hardlinking and then we imported the captured image into ConfigMgr and created a Deploy Windows 7 X64 task sequence. We created a Deploy Windows 7 X64 Collection and set some User Device Affinity collection variables.

In Part 9 we created an Application, and created a deployment type for that application to only install if the Primary User was True for that device (User Device Affinity), we then copied our Task Sequence (duplicated it), deployed the new Task Sequence, added a computer to the new collection and then PXE booted the computer to the Deployment Menu. In Part 10 we monitored the Deployment process in a lot of detail to how UDA sent state messages and we verified that our application installed on the users Primary Device, in addition we modified our collection variables, and added a prestart command to our boot image to prompt for the SMSTSUdaUsers. Now we will setup the Reporting Services Point Role and verify that reporting is working.

Reporting in Configuration Manager:-

The following reporting features are new or have changed in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.

• The reporting point has been deprecated

The Reporting Services point is the only site system role used for reporting in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. For more information about the Reporting Services point, see the Reporting Services Point section later in this topic.

• Full integration of the Configuration Manager 2007 R2 SQL Server Reporting Services solution

In addition to standard report management, Configuration Manager 2007 R2 introduced support for SQL Server Reporting Services reporting. System Center 2012 Configuration Manager has integrated the Reporting Services solution, added new functionality, and removed standard report management as a reporting solution. For more information about Reporting Services, see the SQL Server Reporting Services section later in this topic.

• Report Builder 2.0 integration

System Center 2012 Configuration Manager uses Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP1 Reporting Services Report Builder 2.0 as the exclusive authoring and editing tool for both Model and SQL-based reports. Report Builder 2.0 is automatically installed when you create or modify a report for the first time. For more information about Report Builder, see the Report Builder section later in this topic.

• Subscription management

Report subscriptions in SQL Reporting Services enable you to configure the automatic delivery of specified reports by e-mail or to a file share at scheduled intervals.

• Running reports

You can run System Center 2012 Configuration Manager reports in the Configuration Manager console by using Report Viewer or you can run reports from a browser by using Report Manager. Each method for running reports provides a similar experience.

• Localized reporting

Reports in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager are rendered in the locale of the installed Configuration Manager console. Subscriptions are rendered in the locale that SQL Server Reporting Services is installed. When you author a report, you can specify the assembly and expression.

Reporting in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager provides a set of tools and resources that help you use the advanced reporting capabilities of SQL Server Reporting Services and the rich authoring experience that Microsoft SQL Server 2008 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) Reporting Services Report Builder 2.0 provides. Reporting helps you to gather, organize, and present information about users, hardware and software inventory, software updates, applications, site status, and other Configuration Manager operations in your organization. Reporting provides you with a number of predefined reports that you can use as is or that you can modify to meet your needs, or you can create custom reports.

The following topics on Technet help you to manage reporting in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager:

Step 1. Install the Reporting Services Point Role

Perform the following on your SCCM 2012 server as SMSadmin.

In the ConfigMgr console, click on Administration, Site Configuration, Servers and Site System Roles, right click on our server and choose Add Site System Roles

add site system roles r.png

when the Add site system roles wizard appears click next and select Reporting Services Point from the list of available choices

reporting services point role added.png

you'll be asked to specify some Reporting Services settings, click on Verify beside database name

verify site database name.png

if all goes well it will be listed as Successfully Verified, now we need to configure a Reporting Services Point Account, and we will use the Active Directory User (called ReportsUser) which we created in Part 1 of this series in Active Directory Users and Computers.

* ReportsUser, a domain user for reporting services.

so for User Name click on the Set drop down menu and select New Account

Set New Account.png

when prompted for Windows User Account, enter the credentials of your ReportsUser account, you can use Browse to easily find the user in Active Directory. The specified Windows user account and password is encrypted and stored in the Reporting Services database.

Note: Reporting Services retrieves the data for reports from the site database using this account and password.

Tip: When installing the Reporting Service Point role, you do not have the ability to 'verify' the Reports user you specify, so the user may not even exist in AD. Therefore, you should browse AD when searching for the user.

windows user account.png

click next to install Reporting Services

next to install reporting services.png

click next at the summary and review the completion screen.

reporting service point role added.png

Tip: you can verify that the role installs successfully by monitoring the SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT log in Component Status, Monitoring. Look for Message ID 1015 which indicates that the Reporting Services point was successfully installed.

sms_srs_reporting_point.png

In addition you can verify by checking the following Log on your server, SRSRP.LOG located in D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs, look for a line which reads

Successfully checked that the SRS web service is healthy on server

successfully checked that the SRS Web Service is healthy.png

You should also inspect the SRSRPSetup.log file for the following line, Installation was Successful.

Step 2. Configure Reporting

Now that the Reporting Services Point role is installed we need to do some configuration before we can view reports. In the Monitoring Space of ConfigMgr console click on Reports it will list 0 items.

reports 0 items found.png

On your ConfigMgr server, click on the start menu and right click on Internet Explorer, choose Run As Administrator, answer Yes to the UAC prompt.

run IE as administrator.png

enter the following URL http://sccm.server20...b.local/Reports obviously replace your server FQDN in the URL.

reports URL.png

click on the Properties Tab followed by New Role Assignment

New Role Assignment.png

In Group or Username enter Server2008R2ReportsUser and give the user the permissions you want

add reportsuser role assignment.png

now we can see that the ReportsUser has all reporting roles, and as this is a LAB we should verify that SMSadmin has the rights to do everything, select the SMSadmin user and choose Edit,

edit SMSadmin.png

click the Role checkbox so that we get all roles, and then click Apply, after editing both users we want them to have all permissions for Reporting services,

Tip: This is a LAB so it's ok to configure Reporting this way, in production you would want to be more specific about what permissions users are granted.

roles assigned.png

exit from Internet Explorer, and browse Reports within ConfigMgr again, the Reports are listed and ready to be used, note that they are sorted by Category (and also below Reports are Category Folders)

reports listed.png

Step 3. Viewing some Reports

In the ConfigMgr console, expand reports, Select the All Collections report, right click it, choose Run,

run a report.png

a list of collections appears in the Report Viewer, you can drill down further into the report by clicking on All Systems

All Systems.png

on one of your Windows 7 Client Computers, login as ReportsUser and start Internet Explorer, browse to http:\sccm.server2008r2.lab.localreports and select a report from the ConfigMgr_P01 database

Tip: if the ConfigMgr_P01 database doesn't appear as a temporary measure you can add the ReportsUser to the Local Administrators group on your SCCM server, that's ok in a LAB, in production you'll want to configure your security accordingly and create Groups for Report Readers and Report Administrators.

browsing reports on windows 7 client.png

Thats it ! Reporting Services Point is installed and in our next part we will look at our Endpoint Protection reports and monitor it real time both on the Server and Clients.

Hi

I'm having a problem whereby i get an error stating that the SQL Reporting services root folder "configmgr-P01" is not present or not properly configured on the reporting point server and this error keeps re-occuring.

Not sure what needs to be done for this.

Thanks

I get that error when i look into monitoring>system status>site status.

It comes up as a critical for the reporting services point.

post-12657-0-69487700-1321999647_thumb.png

and i found this in my srsrp.log

post-12657-0-33711200-1322000268_thumb.png

Is it an issue with the account i'm using to set up the report point or is the the version of sql. I'm using SQL 2008 workgroup with SP2.

thanks

Hmmm I have a strange one. I'm able to access role administration via IE as described above, but when I add the Report User or Report Administrator role to any accounts (either SMSAdmin or SMSReportsUser), 30 seconds later I refresh the screen and those roles have been removed! Some roles do seem to stick, but not the two Report ones. And when I try and access reports (via IE or the SCCM console) I get an error in a messagebox like the one I've pasted below. Any ideas what I might be missing here? FYI my SMSReportsUser is just a Domain User as I didn't see any step telling me to add it to anything else...

Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.ServerUrlRequest(Boolean isAbortable, String url, Stream outputStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.InternalRender(Boolean isAbortable, String format, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection urlAccessParameters, Stream reportStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.AsyncMainStreamRenderingOperation.RenderServerReport(ServerReport report)

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.AsyncRenderingOperation.PerformOperation()

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportViewer.AsyncReportOperationWrapper.PerformOperation()

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ProcessingThread.ProcessThreadMain(Object arg)

-------------------------------

Cannot impersonate user for data source 'DataSource1'. (rsErrorImpersonatingUser)

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.ServerUrlRequest(Boolean isAbortable, String url, Stream outputStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.InternalRender(Boolean isAbortable, String format, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection urlAccessParameters, Stream reportStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.AsyncMainStreamRenderingOperation.RenderServerReport(ServerReport report)

at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportViewer.AsyncReportOperationWrapper.PerformOperation()

Log on failed. (rsLogonFailed)

Stack Trace:

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070569)

Stack Trace:

UPDATE: OK see the solution to my problem here:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4733-permission-problem-with-reporting-part-11/

I am having issues with reporting services , No reports are showing up in the console. SQL reporting services is configured . I checked the srps installation log and installation was successful.

There are three DB's ReportServer , ReportServerTemp ( as of SQL reporting services configuration) and SCCM2012 DB.

It complains that SQL reporting services is not running.

I reconfigured the Reporting services as mentioned in the post by creating a reportuser but when I open http://sccm2012/Reports , I dont see reports folder and when internet explorer is opened with run as admininstrator option.

Yes, I am opening the webpage as administrator and SQL reporting services page opens, However there is no folder ConfigMrg_SiteCode folder on the page.

I uninstall and reinstalled Reporting services role but still same result. No folder on the page.

I also see srsps log http error 404 unauthorised.