P@docIT

Network install using boot media - No DHCP

Question

Is it possible to use boot media to do a network install on a new machine without DHCP? We use static IP and when a machine is on the network with an IP, domain, and SCCM Client I can capture that info and apply it back using the capture network TS. However a new machine will boot right in wpe and obviously does not have IP info yet.

Boot media allows you to configure an IP, which works great to get me out any advertised TSs and start the network install however I believe once Windows is applied it changes the network adapter to DHCP. I lose the connection and nothing gets applied after the OS.

Is there a way around this without setting up DHCP as it's not a possibility (controlled by another dept).

Thanks,

Mike

You should be able to to get this working with the OSDAdapter variable. The only problem is that you can't image multiple clients at the same time, if you set the variable directly in the task sequence with the standard action. Sou you would need a script to randomize the ip address from you address range.

I really appreciate the info and I follow you're thinking, unfortunately I have no idea how to incorporate that into my TS. I've only been using SCCM for about 5 months so I'm still very n00b when it comes to this kind of thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any idea if this will work in WinPE?

1)add the "Use Toolkit Package" task (found under the Add - - > MDT menu), and then point to the MDT Toolkit Package.

2) Immediately after the "Use Toolkit Package " task, add the "Gather" task (found under the Add - - > MDT menu), and then set to "Gather only local data (do not process rules)".

3) Immediately after the "Gather" task, add a "Run Command Line" task (found under the Add - - > General menu).

4) In the "Run Command Line" task created in Step 3, check the option "Package" and point to the MDT Toolkit Package, and then set the following values:

"Name:" Capture Network Settings

"Command Line:" cscript scripts\ZTINICConfig.wsf /ForceCapture

Any idea if this will work in WinPE?

Looks like this should do the trick. But i have not looked into the script yet. If it is filling the TS variables for the OSDAdapter settings it should work.

But keep in mind that the client NIC has to be reset to DHCP after imaging.

I'm getting the following error. Any ideas. Not finding much.

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Apply Network Settings) in the group (Install Operating System) with the error code 2147942487

Action output: () == 4, HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdcore\xmlanswerfile.cpp,461)

AppendPrefixLengthToIpAddress( saIpAddresses, saNetmasks, sPrefixedAddress ), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdcore\xmlanswerfile.cpp,1130)

m_pImpl->AddAdapterTcpIpSettings( XMLAnswerFileImpl::Specialize, adapterInfo), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdcore\xmlanswerfile.cpp,2297)

pAnswerFile->AddNetworkAdapter(adapterInfo), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdcore\netadaptersettings.cpp,586)

adapterSettings.Configure( pAnswerFile ), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdcore\netsettings.cpp,192)

oNetSettings.Configure( OSD::Utility::DeployUtil::IsW2kDeployment(), pAnswerFile), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\osdnetsettings\main.cpp,180)

OSDNetSettings finished: 0x80070057

Netmask '64' has incorrect number of octets

Failed to configure adapter 0 (0x80070057)

Failed to configure network settings for adapter 1 (0x80070057). The operating system reported error 2147942487: The parameter is incorrect.

Hmmm. Despite the error, It seems like it may have worked. Will post back after the TS completes. (* used to hide net info)

The task sequence execution engine successfully completed the action (Capture Network Settings) in the group (Install Operating System) with exit code 0

Action output: Intel® 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection

Property OSDAdapter0IpAddressList is now = *.*.*.201,*::*:*:*:1b3

Property OSDAdapter0SubnetMask is now = 255.255.255.0,64

Property OSDAdapter0Gateways is now = *.*.*.1

Property OSDAdapter0DNSServerList is now = *.*.*.10

Property OSDAdapter0EnableDNSRegistration is now = False

Property OSDAdapter0EnableFullDNSRegistration is now = True

Property OSDAdapter0EnableLMHOSTS is now = True

Property OSDAdapter0TCPIPNetBiosOptions isnow = 0

Property OSDAdapter0EnableWINS is now = True

Property OSDAdapter0WINSServerList is now = *.*.*.21,

Property OSDAdapter0EnableIPProtocolFiltering is now = False

Property OSDAdapterCount is now = 1

ZTINICConfig processing completed successfully.

Command line returned 0

Entering ReleaseSource() for C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CR200063

reference count 1 for the source C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CR200063 before releasing

Delete source directory C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CR200063.

I assume this is what triggered the error: Property OSDAdapter0SubnetMask is now = 255.255.255.0,64