anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 4. Adding roles and configuring custom Client Device Settings and custom Client User Settings

In Technet.

In the Administration workspace, right-click on Client Settings in Site Configuration and choose Create Custom Client Device Settings.

create custom client device settings.png

give the custom device settings a suitable name, we will call them Custom Client Device Settings

custom client device settings name.png

select the following custom settings from the list (we can add/configure more later)

• Client Policy
  • Computer Agent
  • Software Updates

3 custom settings.png

in the left pane, click on the first selected, Client Policy, this is a LAB so lets be more aggresive than the Default setting of 60 minutes in the client policy polling interval, we will set it to 5 minutes in the LAB. This means that once every 5 minutes the Client will contact it's Management Point for any new policy. It's probably best not to set it this aggressively in production as you could generate a lot of traffic from the clients to your Management Point and that will mean two things, increased network load and increased load on the Management Point server, and we all know that the more you load your servers, the slower they get (usually).

client policy.png

Next we will configure the Computer Agent settings from the options in the left pane. The first thing you'll want to configure is the Default Application Catalog Website (which we installed above !), so click on Set Website.

set website.png

in the select application catalog website point drop down menu select your choice

select application catalog website point.png

Set Add default Application Catalog website to Internet Explorer trusted sites zone to True and fill in the Organization Name you want displayed in Software Center (the modern day equivalent of Run Advertised Programs which we had in Configuration Manager 2007)

computer agent.png

In the left pane select Software Updates and set the Software updates scan schedule from 7 days to 1 day, this will be because we want to synchronize Endpoint Protection definition updates on a daily basis. We will be configuring Endpoint Protection fully in a later part of this series.

software update scan schedule.png

Apply your changes by clicking OK.

Step 3. Deploy our Custom Client Device Settings.
Note: Perform the following on the Primary Site server (P01) as SMSadmin.

Creating custom client device settings will not take effect until they are deployed to a collection. Right click on our newly created Custom Client Device settings and click Deploy.

Deploy Custom Client Device Settings.png

Select the All Systems Collection and click OK. By doing this action you are applying the Custom Client Device settings to all devices in the All Systems collection. As this is a LAB we don't have many computers in there but that will grow over time.

All Systems collection.png

Tip: Now that you have created and deployed our Custom Client Device Settings you can go ahead and create more Custom Client Device Settings with different options as appropriate and then Deploy them to different collections. In addition you can change the priority of the Custom Client Device Settings so that one takes priority over another (highest priority wins).

Step 4. Configure Custom Client User Settings

Now that we have our Custom Client Device settings done, let's turn our attention to creating Custom Client User Settings, there are not so many options in these settings but they are useful none-the-less and they are also user specific. They allow you to define whether users can define their Mobile devices and also allow users to set their own User Device Affinity.

In the Administration workspace, right-click on Client Settings in Site Configuration and choose Create Custom Client User Settings

.create custom client user settings.png

Give the new Custom Client User Settings a suitable name and select User and Device Affinity as per the screenshot below

custom client user settings name.png

for User and Device Affinity, set the drop down menu to True as per the screenshot below, this allows users to decide for themselves if the computer they are using is their primary device (in the My Devices section within the Application Catalog)

user and device affinity set to true.png

Click ok to apply the changes.

Step 5. Deploy our Custom Client User Settings.

Right click on our newly created Custom Client User settings for site P01 and click Deploy.

deploy custom client user settings.png

As these are custom Client User settings you need to deploy them to a User Collection, as this is a LAB we don't have to be fussy so we will select the All Users collection, in production you'll probably want to have more than one Custom Client User Settings defined with different settings for different User Collections.

all users collection.png

In the Next part of this series we will add the Software Update Point role and use it to deploy the Configuration Manager Client to our computers and then we will verify that they are receiving the Custom Client Device Settings and Custom Client User Settings we've defined above.

Am I missing it somewhere?

nope, i just havn't had time to write it yet, be patient, each part takes me days to prepare and complete.

Edit: the Endpoint Protection part is now done, see here.

Note: You will probably want to verify that the Application Catalog website is working properly at this point but to do so you'll need a computer that has Microsoft Silverlight installed. The Application Catalog requires Microsoft Silverlight, which is automatically installed as a Configuration Manager client prerequisite. If you access the Application Catalog directly from a browser by using a computer that does not have the Configuration Manager client installed, first verify that Microsoft Silverlight is installed on your computer.

can you tell how to do that?

I have checked all logs are the same as in your creenshot, but when I try on some client who has Silverlight

typing http://<yourServerName>/CMApplicationCatalog I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" ((

Note: You will probably want to verify that the Application Catalog website is working properly at this point but to do so you'll need a computer that has Microsoft Silverlight installed. The Application Catalog requires Microsoft Silverlight, which is automatically installed as a Configuration Manager client prerequisite. If you access the Application Catalog directly from a browser by using a computer that does not have the Configuration Manager client installed, first verify that Microsoft Silverlight is installed on your computer.

can you tell how to do that?

I have checked all logs are the same as in your creenshot, but when I try on some client who has Silverlight

typing http://<yourServerName>/CMApplicationCatalog I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" ((

Try this

start-> Run--> c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe -iru

I am struck and i found logs ....

I followed one by one .. i am sure some thing i missed .. kindly help to solve this issue .. i am really new ans i happy to know your GUides to make clear understanding .. iam struck in this Client confoguration

I attached the Error logs image

post-16945-0-05146000-1349867970_thumb.png

post-16945-0-05146000-1349867970_thumb.png