lufupa

task sequence not working

Question

Hi All,

lab setup= 2 server, one is a DC with dns/dhcp. the other is sccm with wds

i am a bit stuck with a problem where i can pxe boot a computer(bare metal), its gets to the screen where it says its loading winpe (background image is from sccm), preparing network connections etc & then it sits there for 1-2 minutes & it reboots. the task sequence does not load.

i have followed the instructions for deploying XP from this site.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Kass

you must enable f8 funtionality within Windows PE to troubleshoot the issue

learn how to do that here

it's rebooting probably because you don'ät have the correct network drivers loaded in your boot.wim file

cheers

anyweb

you must enable f8 funtionality within Windows PE to troubleshoot the issue

learn how to do that here

it's rebooting probably because you don'ät have the correct network drivers loaded in your boot.wim file

cheers

anyweb

Thanks for the quick reponse. i will enable the f8 functionality & recheck the drivers.

Thanks for the quick reponse. i will enable the f8 functionality & recheck the drivers.

Hi

bit of an update. i took a closer look at the pxe boot screen & its saying architecture: x64

i have not configured that. any reason why it would pick that up?

i guess that is the reason why the task sequence is failing?

dont worry about that, i've also seen that when deploying clients, it doesnt matter as long as youve created boot.wims for both architecture (32 bit and 64bit) and that you have defined what operating system is being installed

cheers

anyweb

dont worry about that, i've also seen that when deploying clients, it doesnt matter as long as youve created boot.wims for both architecture (32 bit and 64bit) and that you have defined what operating system is being installed

cheers

anyweb

Thanks for the info.

still not working. i checked the drivers & they are the correct ones. also tried another computer (dell gx745) & the same thing happens. i deleted the drivers & driver package & have gone through the steps of re-adding them back in.

any pointers?

thanks

ok if its still failing just after starting windows PE with a reboot, then press F8 like i said, which will bring up a cmd prompt within windows PE

copy any log files that are in there, zip them up and post them here, (The logs for SCCM (in this case) are stored in X:\Windows\Temp\SMSTSLog\ and C:\SMSTSLog and C:\_SMSTaskSequence)

i need to see those logs to understand what is failing

cheers

anyweb

ok if its still failing just after starting windows PE with a reboot, then press F8 like i said, which will bring up a cmd prompt within windows PE

copy any log files that are in there, zip them up and post them here, (The logs for SCCM (in this case) are stored in X:\Windows\Temp\SMSTSLog\ and C:\SMSTSLog and C:\_SMSTaskSequence)

i need to see those logs to understand what is failing

cheers

anyweb

Hi,

i have attached the two smstslogs i found, but i could not locate the _smstasksequence log.

i had a quick glance of the logs & its failing to connect to the sccm server & references a package ( the sccm advance client).

thanks for your help on this.

Kass

update:-

from the F8 screen, i was able to ping the sccm server

sccmlogs.zip

here is where you are having problems (the screenshot is of Trace32 part of the SCCM2007 toolkit, it highlights errors in logs in RED)

errors.jpg

the first error is

Failed to connect to "\\LABSCCM.TESTLAB.COM\SMSPKGD$\LAB00008" (5)

so what is that package ? please verify that it is distributed to a distribution point (check the package status)

Content location request for LAB00008:3 failed. (Code 0x80040103)

the error above means it cannot find this packagepossible reasons are boot.wim has no network support for your nic or you havnt distributed the package properly (or need to do it again)

Failed to resolve selected task sequence dependencies. Code(0x80040103)

this is where the Task Sequence aborts, it cannot continue because it cannot get some package(s)

cheers

anyweb

here is where you are having problems (the screenshot is of Trace32 part of the SCCM2007 toolkit, it highlights errors in logs in RED)

post-1-1226478712_thumb.jpg

the first error is

so what is that package ? please verify that it is distributed to a distribution point (check the package status)

the error above means it cannot find this packagepossible reasons are boot.wim has no network support for your nic or you havnt distributed the package properly (or need to do it again)

this is where the Task Sequence aborts, it cannot continue because it cannot get some package(s)

cheers

anyweb

Hi,

the package is the SCCM client. It its distributed to the DP as shown on the package status screen.

i am going to try deploying Vista & see if it works.

Thanks