Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'surface pro 3'.
Trying to import the Surface Pro 3 drivers into SCCM 2012 R2. The process completes however the import wizards gives the error below: Error: Some driver package(s) are updated on distribution points successfully. But some are not. Errors Surface Pro 3 - The SMS Provider reported an error. This also results in the source directory being empty. DriverCatalog.log shows a number of successful imports with a “Successfully initialized driver digest.” Testing in home SCCM 2012 R2 lab with Windows Server 2008 R2 and the same driver package imports successfully with files in the package source. The only difference is that in production (where the failure occurs) I have previously imported the Surface Pro 1 and 2 drivers. Which in trouble shooting I have since deleted. I see a few other forms posts speaking too source folder permissions (tested not an issue) and incompatible “supported platforms” with the Surface Pro 3 and Server 2008 R2 – but my log files don’t line up with this solution. I am stuck.
Good Afternoon, I have created a standard reference image for windows 8.1 that I can deploy to a server using Altiris 7.6. However that reference image of course lays down over the entire surface pro 3 drive and removes the ability to restore the surface to factory if something goes wrong. Leaving me with the only option of re-imaging the surface pro 3 via pxe or usb thumbdrive. I want to be able to create an image that I can lay down via pxe that preserves the ability to factory reset the surface pro 3 if needed via the button press commands. Can anyone assist me in accomplishing this. I mean of course I have to do the work but if you could share the knowledge that would be great.
Just thought I'd share a script I wrote this morning. I currently have a task sequence that builds various devices and takes the OSDComputerName variable from the Asset Tag BIOS field. The Surface Pro 3 works a little different, in that you can't set this field directly from the BIOS, you need to set it using a CLI utility (available here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44076).This usually means booting a brand new device, going through the OOBE stuff, running the CLI utility, then restarting into PXE and continuing with imaging as normal. The below .vbs script first checks if there is an existing asset tag entered, and if not prompts the user to enter a machine name, which it then uses in the Task Sequence and sets the tag locally using the utility, so the next time the device is built it just takes the tag straight from the BIOS. Dim objWMIService Dim colItems Dim objSMSEnv Dim strNewName Dim WshShell Dim strCurDir Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\CIMV2") Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_SystemEnclosure") 'Get the current Asset Tag For Each objItem In colItems 'Remove all beginning, trailing and containing spaces and switch to uppercase strNewName = objItem.SMBIOSAssetTag Next wscript.echo "Currently using " & strNewName & " as OSDComputerName" If left(strNewName,4) <> "SomeString" Then Do While X = 0 strNewName = InputBox ("Please enter a machine name i.e. HP-XXXXXX","Enter Machine Name...") If strNewName = "" Then Wscript.Echo "You must enter a machine name." Else Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") strCurDir = WshShell.CurrentDirectory WshShell.Run strCurDir & "\AssetTag -s " & UCase(strNewName), 0 wscript.echo "Currently using " & strNewName & " as OSDComputerName Set objSMSEnv = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment") wscript.echo "Set Task Sequence variable OSDComputerName to: " & strNewName objSMSEnv("OSDComputerName") = UCase(strNewName) Exit Do End If Loop Else Wscript.Echo strNewName Set objSMSEnv = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment") wscript.echo "Set Task Sequence variable OSDComputerName to: " & strNewName objSMSEnv("OSDComputerName") = UCase(strNewName) End If Set WshShell = Nothing I deployed it by having AssetTag.exe and script file in a folder on my SCCM OSD scripts directory, then created a simple package without program and pointed at this location. After distributing to my local DPs I then created a Run Command Line task sequence item and added the name of the script file into the Command Line area, making sure to reference the package containing the script.