kukulka

Hardware inventory policy schedule

I am not quite sure how hardware inventory schedule works.

I have my hardware inventory scheduled to "Occurs every 1 days effective 25/02/2014 12:00".

Does it mean that hardware inventory will be performed every day at 12:00?

What happens when a laptop doesn't connect for couple of days and than connects to the network at 11:00 for 30 minutes?

Do you mean 12 at noon? If so, I would change the time so the inventory runs at night. Inventory can take up a lot of resources on the clients so perhaps you can save your company some helpdesk calls.

Actually I don't recommend scheduling a time for the inventories to occur as this will affect your site server performance. I always recommend that you use a simple schedule and depending on what inventory task it is, they have different values. IMO only SW inv. will have performance issues on end clients. HW tends to be ~80 seconds and Heartbeat is ~1 second, I have yet to see any client notice either of them.

HW Inv. every 1 day

SW Inv. Disabled or every 14 days

Heartbeat: every 1 day or once hour; depending on needs of the client.

Actually I don't recommend scheduling a time for the inventories to occur as this will affect your site server performance. I always recommend that you use a simple schedule and depending on what inventory task it is, they have different values. IMO only SW inv. will have performance issues on end clients. HW tends to be ~80 seconds and Heartbeat is ~1 second, I have yet to see any client notice either of them.

HW Inv. every 1 day

SW Inv. Disabled or every 14 days

Heartbeat: every 1 day or once hour; depending on needs of the client.

How does it affect the site server's performance to schedule the inventory cycles?

Why risk affecting clients with important stuff going on by scheduling the inventory in the middle of the day?

How does it affect the site server's performance to schedule the inventory cycles?

Why risk affecting clients with important stuff going on by scheduling the inventory in the middle of the day?

Assume that you have 10000 PCs. If you schedule that to occur at the predefined time say 9PM, you are then forcing every one of your PC to talk to your MP at 9pm. Then you are forcing all 10000PC to send their HW Inventory all at the same time. This will cause a backlog on the site server that will take time to clean up. It get worse if you also tell the PCs to do all of the other task at the same time. SW, Heartbeat, SU Scan, etc...

It is not best practice to schedule these tasks, it always best practice to use a simple schedule as this will allow all of the inventory/scans to occur over several hours generally from 6am - 10 am. Thereby not overloading any particular part of your network or CM environment.

On top of that if any PC is turn off at 9pm, they will perform these same tasks when the PC is turned on next and therefore you are not protecting them at all from the "risk".

IMO there is no risk to any of the clients using the setting that I have suggested. I know that most of the other MVPs will also recommend similar settings. Particularly with respect to SW Inv. SW Inv is the only Inventory task that client will "feel" and most of the MVP will recommend that you turn it off or have very strict guideline about using it.

Hardware Inv. should be call System Discovery as it will find everything about the system, (Registry, Add/Remove program/ AI, BIOS, HD, RAM, etc.)

Software Inv. should be call file inventory. It will ONLY find file header detail and ONLY find it for those files you tell it to. I recommend even using it, particularly if you have AI inventory classes enabled.

Heartbeat discovery is a special discovery method, think of it as a really, really lite version of HW inv. (Name, IP, MAC, User Name, and a few other details). This one is so quick and so small that running it every hour will have little impact on either your CM12 server or end PCs. if it does then you have much bigger problems.