apug666

sccm 2012 task sequence media USB not detected

Hi,

It appears that new usb drives are being detected as fixed disks instead of removable devices. This obviously prevents SCCM from deploying them as task sequence media. Does anyone have a workaround for this? I'v etried to make the disk bootable and then copy across the media that I built as an .iso and extracted but haven't had any luck.

cheers,

Al

Microsoft is aware of this problem and are actively working on it, in the meantime you can create standalone media (ISO) and then mount the iso when done, copy the contents of the iso to a 'old fashioned' non-fixed disk usb media formatted as NTFS and you'll be ok,

Microsoft is aware of this problem and are actively working on it, in the meantime you can create standalone media (ISO) and then mount the iso when done, copy the contents of the iso to a 'old fashioned' non-fixed disk usb media formatted as NTFS and you'll be ok,

ok, thanks

Any updates on this? We've just come across the Fixed Drive USB issue ourselves.... such a pain.

We had Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 USBs that were working fine then in a later revision of the device they made them Fixed USBs for Windows 8. Damn you Microsoft!

watch this space?

yup, I was waiting for this...

R2 CU1 fixes this, have any of you upgraded to R2 CU1 yet and tried creating media on those 'fixed disks' devices ?, the fix is listed below:-

Operating system deployment External drives, such as some USB thumb drives, are displayed as fixed disks instead of removable media. Attempts to start and install an OS image result in error messages that resemble the following in the Smsts.log file:

Booted from fixed disk

!sVolumeID.empty(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\qfe\nts\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,465)

!sVolumeID.empty(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\qfe\nts\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,465)

!sTSMDataPath.empty(), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\qfe\nts\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,1425)

TS::Utility::GetTSMDataPath(rsPath), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\qfe\nts\sms\client\tasksequence\bootshell\configpath.cpp,352)

Failed to find the current TS configuration path

ConfigPath::FindConfigPath(sConfigPath), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\qfe\nts\sms\client\tasksequence\bootshell\bootshell.cpp,545)

Failed to find the configuration path.

The system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 80070002; Source: Windows)

Execution failed with error 80070002.

IT works with CU1.

Did some tests last week with sandisk UFD:s that doesn't work without Cu1.

After updating my DP:s with a new version of my bootmedia i created a New ISO. (Virtual server so no USB access from it.)

I then created A UFD with the bits from the ISO and booted from it.