joeman1881

Microsoft Surface PXE issues

Generally the 0x80004005 error would be "access denied" or similar.

Might sound a bit odd, but is the Bios clock set to the right time? (and date). That can cause this error apparently.

I saw this in another article, but I disregarded it due to the fact that the Surface doesn't have a user modifiable bios. Come to find the machines MS sent us for demo's were dated back to Aug 2013, and didn't sync with the Server because of it. This caused the machines not to find any active deployments. Setting up the OOB stuff for W8.1 and changing the time in the OS before PXE booting corrected the issue. Come to find the machines actually sync with MS regularly to keep the internal clock up to date. Thanks everyone for the notes.

Just to confirm, it was a "time/date" issue?

Yes it was. Thanks for finally making me take a look at this! Microsoft Surfaces time/date has to manually be adjusted in the Windows OS in order to update the internal clock. Silly to go through oob experience just to update time, but whatever makes them work...

Happy Friday!