Clamb

Setting Default Backgrounds and Resolution During OSD

I am working on a new golden image for our department. I have gotten almost everything working with lock screens and colors and such for Windows 8.1 as well as Windows 7. I am having one small issue which I haven't found a solution yet. That is setting the correct default background image.

In my task sequence I am applying the OS Branding step following the Setup Windows and Configuration Manager step. This step runs a Powershell script which sets permissions on the various Windows\Web folders, copies the OEM image files, and sets a few registry keys. Part of this script also determines the current screen resolution and then copies the appropriate file to the Windows\Screen\Wallpaper folder. I have several different files that it selects from based upon the current ratio of the screen. So it will copy Background1024x768 or Background1920x1200 as appropriate depending on the current resolution.

The problem I running into is no matter what I do, the resolution of the machine will always be 1024x768 at this step in the Task Sequence. I have tried adding VResoution=1 and XResolution=1 variables to force it to change the resolution (a tip from a Google search). I have also tried setting the resolutions to 1 in the Display settings in both the Specialize section and the OOBE section of the UNATTEND.XML file. Neither of these seems to work.

When the task sequence finishes, the fully imaged machine does indeed boot with the Recommended resolution. However, because it isn't set to the proper resolution during the task sequence, my background is not the correct resolution.

I did try putting in the machine specific settings in via the Display setting in the OOBE section with an UNATTEND.XML file, the script works like a champ. This would be great if all of my machines had the same resolution, which of course they do not.

Any thoughts on how I can get this to work. I am at the point where I am considering setting up an Autologon and RunOnce at the end of the OSD task sequence to accomplish the task, but I am trying to avoid this if possible.

I would try moving that part of the TS after a drivers install. When Windows has booted following driver installs and it continues with it's TS it should be at full resolution for the monitor in question (Assume it's able to install the Graphics drivers). So maybe add it on after the OS Setup, and have it in it's own group further down the TS or even at the end?

It's deff installing the graphics driver during the TS? Usually when I get past the reboot after drivers installed, if I have the graphics driver added to SCCM for the machine in question, Windows will boot (rather than WinPE), and have the overlay of it in front but at full resolution (say, during the "Install Windows Updates" stage).

It's deff installing the graphics driver during the TS? Usually when I get past the reboot after drivers installed, if I have the graphics driver added to SCCM for the machine in question, Windows will boot (rather than WinPE), and have the overlay of it in front but at full resolution (say, during the "Install Windows Updates" stage).

Everything I had read indicates the drivers are loaded at this point. The script runs right before the last reboot step. After Windows Updates.

It appears that it actually is working as it should. I applied the image to a physical machine and everything worked as it should. The Gen1 Hyper-V machine also works as it should. Looks like Gen2 Hyper-V machines are the ones giving me troubles. Of course, this is the machine I have been banging my head with trying to get the darn thing working. I'm going to test a few more physical machines to be sure.