Luskin

PC Asset Discovery

Hopefully a quick question. I have inherited the support of an existing SCCM 2012 installation

We have a discovery task set to automatically run at 11am each day against our PC fleet

However, it appears to sometimes take a few days to "discover" a PC connected to the network (ie the 11am run won't necessarily discover the PC the day it is connected to the network). It will then suddenly discover the PC days later and information such as Last Login, Computer Name, Computer Description will then be updated.

Is there some other setting or parameter that may be governing when the discovery data is updated?

I'm a bit confused why do you say that you have discovery enabled at 11am ever day? you AD discovery is setup to run every 7 day at midnight and it look like you have delta discovery enable and the default is every 5 minutes.

When a new PC is created does it not show up within the All systems collection within ~10 minutes?

You don't want network discovery.

Clearly I'm struggling. I thought that the fact that hardware inventory was set to daily (under Custom Settings) was set to daily meant that hw inventory happened every 24 hours?

No, a PC out of the store took 4 days before details were updated

If you have you HW inventory set to daily then it will happen every day, once the CM12 client is installed.

BUT... That does NOT mean that it will show up within all collations within 24 hours. Hence the reason why I asked where are you looking for this details. Are you looking for it within the All Systems Collection?

On top of that it could take a while for the PC to get the CM12 client installed.

So why do you think that it take 4 days for the client to show up? Exactly what troubleshooting steps have you taken?

• Have you confirmed that the PC is listed in AD?
  • Have you confirmed that the PC name is resolvable by DNS?
  • Have you confirmed that the CM12 client has been installed?
  • How is the CM12 client getting installed?
  • Exactly where are you looking for the client in CM12?

Actually what I said in my last post was not correct. The PC was discovered within 10 minutes of being connected to the network. However, details such as "Last Login" and "Last Inventoried" and details of the software on the PC were not updated for days

That I don't know Garth. Thanks for your help

I will have to get the sysadmin person to look for me.

How would I get him to tell where we are pulling these details from? Resource Explorer, Reports or Collection?

I'm completely confused.

At the beginning of this post you talk about discovery taking days for a PC to show up but later in the post you say a PC shows up within 10 minutes.

Go back to the beginning, exactly what problem are you trying to solve? aka why do you think that there is a problem at all?