Hutch

OSD Woes

Hello

I have an OSD issue that is driving me nuts and hopefully someone out there can shed some light on this for me. This is a typical scenario:

1. OSD runs as it should and everything in the new computer works fine. If I open the Configuration Manager Control Panel I see 11 cycles in the Actions tab. If I open Software Center I see my Corporate name instead of IT Organization so it is talking to the MP and receiving policies. I see the computer in the console and in the appropriate collections.
  2. The problem is that none of the applications required by the new computer will install. There are at least eight apps, depending on which collections it is in, two of which are MS hotfixes. These hotfixes are already included in the image and one or both of them may show up in Software Center as installed so App Discovery is running and detecting one or both of these two apps but not the other six. All applications are configured to install outside of the maintenance window. No errors in AppDiscovery.log
  3. About three hours after the OSD has completed the Configuration Manager Control Panel loses its Configurations tab and the cycles under the Action tab start to disappear until there are only two left. The User and Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycles.
  4. It takes a day or two and then the cycles all come back and the apps will install. Everything is fine from that point on.

Obviously three days to deploy one computer is unacceptable. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Some pertinent information:

• SCCM 2012 R2 with MDT 2013 - all roles on one server except database
  • Tried WMI v2.0, 3.0 and 4.0
  • Installed hotfixes KB2775511 and KB2889748 in the OSD image
  • OSD image is up to date with patches and updates
  • Hardware doesn't matter. All computers are Dell but it happens on four different models
  • Tried adding this reg key in the TS as per this article: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CCM /v UserPolicyReRequestDelay /t REG_DWORD /d 6000000

It sounds like something is overwriting an essential component of the client config some time after OSD completes, or something is changing your network config and preventing access to your MP.

3 hours is a bit long, but my first thought would be GPO - faesibly something could be getting screwed up by a rogue script or preference shortly after OSD completes, which explains why the client behaves abnormally. Some time after that the client has failed to contact the MP for so long that it starts losing capabilities.

Alternatively, one of these 8 hotfixes or anything else which runs in your TS after the CM client could also be screwing this up, but I get the feeling you would know...

As for your 8 apps, my guess would be that the 6 which don't register as already installed either failed install during the TS, but didn't trigger a TS exit, or your compliance detection method isn't robust. I might look at what the AppEnforce log tells you when they try to install, and you could dig through the TS log to see if the installation succeeded? If you actually have the patches injected into the WIM, then I think your issue will be with compliance detection.

The fix you've referenced seems to be for SCCM infrastructures utilising a PKI for client comms - if this is something you are doing, then I would look into issues with the client auto-enrolling for its cert, and using this cert for client comms. If not, this is a red herring. Also, the reg key specified is delaying user policy which is a little odd, as this issue would appear to be related to machine policy.

Rob

Of the eight apps, the two hotfixes are already installed in the image. The other six apps are not but I should still see them in Software Center. The hotfixes don't always show up in Software Center but sometimes I see one or both of them.

I had automatic site-wide client push installation enabled so I turned it off in case that was causing the re-installation. Will report back if that solves the problem.

Did not solve the problem. Two and a half hours after I was able to log in, all but two of the cycles in the actions tab have disappeared. They will all be there by tomorrow and everything will be working but this is totally unacceptable.

Perhaps the client is stuck in 'Provisioningmode'.

Please check the following registry keys:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CCM\CCMexec\Provisioningmode (this one should be set to false)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CCM\CCMexec\SystemTaskExcludes (this one should be empty)

I don't provide any installation properties in the TS but none seem to be required. The site code is immediately visible in the Configuration Manager Control Panel after OSD completes, and within ten minutes I see all of the cycles listed under the Actions tab. The Software Center is displaying my corporate name rather than IT Organization so it has the default client settings as well.

This new image is behaving slightly differently. I deployed this image yesterday morning and although I ran the Application Deployment and Evaluation Cycle on it a dozen times throughout the day, the log file was never created. So now instead of behaving badly, it's not running at all. It did however run overnight and all of the apps are now visible in Software Center and the log file is there. They didn't install so I guess they were discovered outside of the maintenance window.

A couple of things I would like to know is:

• Does it matter if Windows is not activated? I have MAK licenses so I'm hesitant to activate Windows knowing I will be deploying test images another 20 times trying to get this working.
  • Should I be installing "Configuration Manager Client Package" or "Microsoft Configuration Manager Client Upgrade 5.0 ALL"? All of the tutorials I have seen use the upgrade package which doesn't make any sense to me. I have tried both with the same results but I would like to know which is proper. Both have the same Source location but they have different Source versions. The upgrade is 1(2013-04-15) and the Package is 6(2013-11-26). There is only one set of source files in that folder.

I just noticed there is a "Microsoft Configuration Manager Client Upgrade 6.0 ALL" package definition as well.

Edited by Hutch