mryusufu

Symantec Endpoint Protection client update via SCCM

Question

Hi,

In my environment, we have about 7000 clients.

We run Symantec Endpoint Portection (SEP) on all the clients and also have an internal Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) for management and updates.

About 6000 of the clients update normally from the SEPM. However, the outstanding 1000 or so are a big problem.

Symantec has provided an avenue to update the clients manually by downloading the update files and dropping them into a folder on the client.

The SEP client can then pick up the update files for processing.

The problem is these files are HUGE. At the last check, the size was almost 350MB.

Pushing this file with our limited bandwidth has been a serious challenge.

Is there any way SCCM 2012 R2 can help move these files over the WAN?

Note: I do not want to use xcopy or robocopy scripts.

I need the files to be copied in chunks so there is no serious impact on the link.

post-24175-0-77558700-1394544877_thumb.jpg

I would really appreciate any pointers.

Thank you

1 answer to this question

If you use branch cache in association with SCCM, then that should significantly reduce the amount of data transferred across the WAN. If you can automate the download of the content from Symantec, then you could schedule the SCCM package to automatically replicate to your DPs on a recurring basis. If you want to go another step, you could "pre-cache" the package during off hours to a PC on each subnet by setting it to download before running and then assign a program for the push that doesn't really do anything. That should get it into the SCCM cache on that PC where is should then be available from Branch Cache as well for any subsequent requests.

We use 1E's Nomad product and follow a similar method to the one above for large content that needs to be everywhere.