pete748

Filtering clients in failed deployment

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a way to filter clients that have failed on a software deployment.

What I've done is deploy software to 250 computers and only half of them have succeeded, I then re ran the deployment to see if anymore would succeed however there was no change.

What I would like to do is group the failed clients into a device collection and uninstall the software and then try reinstalling it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

You really ask a difficult question to answer. First have you checked the logs on the client pc to find out why they failed, did you put a pre-requisite in your software deployment. Do you have any widows firewall issues by group policy or local, does your sccm acct have proper access. Sccm troubleshooting is log based. Use the log viewer that comes with Sccm. Are your pc's in the same v-lan or separated by hardware firewall rules. Certain ports have to be open , file and print sharing etc on the domain controller by GP. Check the account your running the software distribution as, or change it to troubleshoot. Check your logs on the server. Have you installed right click tools to help you troubleshot remotely. Connect to the client pcs, just because you get a software failed notice , does not necessarily mean the software actually did not get installed.

As far as grouping can you group by logical name, location, ip range, Or group using a variable query statmemnt for example, here is one, im sure I got it here. I love this website. select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS on SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName like "%Adobe

of course change adobe for your software or lack of. This is just a starting point, look at your deployment see if your group you are deploying too actually shows each member, are they physically turned on.. Initiate a application cycle or machine policy on the whole group. so all pcs will get the latest advertisement. LOGS< LOGS LOGS> good luck.