shockwave

Discovery wizard won't start

Question

Hallo,

Today I installed SCOM 2012 on my VM. The installation finally succeeded, so the next step was installing the agent on servers. So I started the Discovery Wizard.

But everytime I get this error:
The pool managing the instance is not available or the location monitoring object cannot be found.
I've tried with multiple accounts, and also the managed server account. I keep on getting this error.
Extra information:
Date: 29/03/2014 18:52:35
Application: Operations Manager
Application Version: 7.1.10226.0
Severity: Error
Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.LocationObjectNotFoundException: The pool managing the instance is not available or the location monitoring object cannot be found.
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ServiceProxy.HandleFault(String methodName, Message message)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.AdministrationServiceProxy.LaunchDiscovery(Guid batchId, IList`1 jobDefinitions)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Administration.ManagementServer.BeginExecuteWindowsDiscovery(IList`1 discoveryConfigurations, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Administration.DiscoveryProgress.<>c__DisplayClass7.<SubmitTask>b__3(Object , ConsoleJobEventArgs )
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)
An exception was thrown while processing LaunchDiscovery for session ID uuid:09e9d684-434f-487d-9265-ff903088c9cf;id=1.
Exception message: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason.
Full Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.LocationObjectNotFoundException]: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason. (Fault Detail is equal to Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.LocationObjectNotFoundException: The pool managing the instance is not available or the location monitoring object cannot be found.).
my vm:
win server 2012
forest functional level 2008R2
SCOM 2012R2
sql server 2012
Anyone had this before?
kind regards,
shockwave

3 answers to this question

Hi ShockWave,

Take a look at this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bff8a86b-a0f3-4d2e-8681-cffa23315fef/the-pool-managing-the-instance-is-not-available-or-the-location-monitoring-object-cannot-be-found-?forum=operationsmanagergeneral

I'm not sure if it directly relates, but it mentions a few things to check, like the SQL Server Browser service, the installation of SQL Server (i.e. which Service Pack), Firewall rules, testing connectivity by manually deploying an Agent, checking the Service Accounts used,