mikedisd

Install SCCM 2012R2 with Remote SQL Server

It seems that installation step-by-step instructions don't address what's involved with configuring SCCM with a remote SQL server (fairly straight forward I guess). But during the installation, the Database Information section requests a path for the SQL Server data file and log file, defaulting to a mapped drive that doesn't exist. My SQL server folder paths aren't shared and the installation doesn't like "\\SQL1\d$\data" due to the character. It makes me wonder why this information is even needed.

So:

1. Does ConfigMgr actually need to know the path to the SQL data and log files? If so, why?
  2. If not, can I just leave the dummy default paths?
  3. If I have to share the data/log paths, is it just the SCCM service account that needs access or do other accounts need to know this path?

1. Yes it need to the know the real path.
  2. No, it must the real DB files
  3. I believe that the DB file must be local to the SQL server and therefore you can't use UNC paths to the db.

BTW Remote SQL server is NOT generally recommend.

1. Yes it need to the know the real path.
  2. No, it must the real DB files
  3. I believe that the DB file must be local to the SQL server and therefore you can't use UNC paths to the db.

BTW Remote SQL server is NOT generally recommend.

OK thanks. The error message I'm currently getting says I can specify a UNC path, even though it then further states I can't use the "\" character. <_<

A remote database is fairly standard practice and supported by Microsoft. Why isn't it recommended?

This simple answer is people don’t configuration their SQL server correctly. If you have a remote SQL server it should be dedicated to CM12, with a dedicated fiber connection between the two servers. It is added complexity and in 99% of all cases slower performance.

There are long winded answer but you will find that most senior CM Administrators will highly recommend that you keep SQL local. Heck the biggest CM12 environment (400K) is using Local SQL.

Hi Mike,

I think I understand you question, because I just went through a remote SQL installation a couple weeks ago. On the first dialogue box, you need to point to your remote SQL server (and named instance.) On the next screen, I believe that you can just leave the default paths in place (if you're alright with the DB living in the default MSSQL folder)

It's confusing, because it says something like "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\...." but you're not trying to put the DB on the local SCCM 2012 Primary drive. You're trying to point it to the D: drive on the remote SQL box. Anyway, I left the default paths for that part, and the installation worked, and the DB did end up on the SQL server.

Hope that makes sense...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Does ConfigMgr actually need to know the path to the SQL data and log files? If so, why?
  3. If I have to share the data/log paths, is it just the SCCM service account that needs access or do other accounts need to know this path?
  • Like 1

I wondered about that, just leaving the default paths in the data/transaction file paths. Thanks for letting me know, I'll give this a run. Cheers!

Hi Mike,

I think I understand you question, because I just went through a remote SQL installation a couple weeks ago. On the first dialogue box, you need to point to your remote SQL server (and named instance.) On the next screen, I believe that you can just leave the default paths in place (if you're alright with the DB living in the default MSSQL folder)

It's confusing, because it says something like "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\...." but you're not trying to put the DB on the local SCCM 2012 Primary drive. You're trying to point it to the D: drive on the remote SQL box. Anyway, I left the default paths for that part, and the installation worked, and the DB did end up on the SQL server.

Hope that makes sense...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30 minutes ago, riahc3 said:

Do you have official Microsoft backed documentation to back that up?

yes but depending on what version you are using now. That recommend might have changed. Are you using CM12 or CMCB?