deconinckg

Windows Keys

Question

Dear all,

I have still a question concerning the license keys. I found out our license key on the sticker don't work. So I assume they are using a VLK.

Now my question is how I could deploy multiple images, if i don't know the exact key? For our WIN XP portables we don't have keys neither cause we got both vista as win XP on installation CD/DVD.

I have heard of KMS-server for managing the license keys, but how can i even deploy machines with vista or xp if i don't have the keys to deploy them.

Any advice is welcome if you know where i might be getting it wrong. Its not my intention to buy new hardware install it default to obtain the key and then redploy it with SCCM.

Greetings and thx in advance for the help offered.

4 answers to this question

here's a post describing how to setup a KMS server,

you will need to find out from within your own organisation the following

1. what media and license key(s) to use for Windows XP

2. what media and license key(s) to use for Windows Vista

cheers

anyweb

here's a post describing how to setup a KMS server,

you will need to find out from within your own organisation the following

1. what media and license key(s) to use for Windows XP

2. what media and license key(s) to use for Windows Vista

cheers

anyweb

So in case we have one VLK-license we need to deploy those keys through KMS then?

Its not possible to install the keys with SCCm then if I understand it good.

if you have a VLK for XP and have VLK media (cd) then you should use the VLK key plus media in sccm,

for Vista you should really use kms

please contact Microsoft Licensing or your own local Microsoft rep for more info

or read here > http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t531985.html

cheers

if you have a VLK for XP and have VLK media (cd) then you should use the VLK key plus media in sccm,

for Vista you should really use kms

please contact Microsoft Licensing or your own local Microsoft rep for more info

or read here > http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t531985.html

cheers

Thx anyweb. Well that makes me have to do a full reinstall for win xp but then, with a license media cd for install and capture.

It kinda sucks Microsoft or the dealer doesn't provide us with a sticker anymore with the XP-license on it. Because without it we are actually forced to use VLK's. We aren't planning to first deploy win xp, to obtain the key so we can then do our pxe boot to install everything. For now this works very well. All applications and drivers are nicely installed onto our client-desktops but with all the same OEM key. For now this doesn't give a problem cause portables are all the same. But this will change once there is a new model.

For Vista i saw we can use KMS as it is build into vista and win server 2008. But then i saw the issue about having x-number of clients before it activates. Also for vista i saw that the OEM license on the back of the portable doesn't work if you wanna install win vista with that license key. Or when you do a sysprep.