RGB09

autounattended.xml

Question

Just a quick question, I have created an autounattended file, where do I place this? so that when I deploy it I can just leave it to complete without any user interference. I am used to RIS and I know you included the sif file in the folder that the image was created in.

I read the article about creating an automated file, but I t say's about putting it on a USB stick?

6 answers to this question

put it on the usb key or DVD root

more info here

You can use Windows SIM to create an answer file (autounattend.xml or unattend.xml) that partitions and formats a disk before installing Windows, you can create an XML file for an unattended install of Vista/Server 2008, and then automate the process by copying the finished AutoUnattend.xml file to either the root of a USB key or the root of a Windows Vista (or Server 2008) DVD. When Windows setup starts it will query these locations if present for the file and if it finds the file it will use the settings found within.

Tip:

If you create an unattend.xml file using Windows System Image Manager (SIM) and you want to allow users to install Windows Vista with no user interaction, you would need to rename the file to autounattend.xml and copy it to the root of a USB Flash Drive.

So does this mean that if any one wants to deploy an image, they must have a USB stick with the autounattended.xml file in it?

I was wondering if this could be copied somewhere on the captured image? I think that's what I should have aksed, like with RIS where the *.sif file resided in the I386 folder of the image to be deployed?

Sorry if i wasn't clear earlier? But if i could get WDS working it would save us a lot of money!!!

No problem, I have found the option to point it to the *.xml file.

It's in the Image Properties window, under the General Tab. At the bottom is the "Allow image to install in unattended mode" tick box. ;)

No problem, I have found the option to point it to the *.xml file.

It's in the Image Properties window, under the General Tab. At the bottom is the "Allow image to install in unattended mode" tick box. ;)

Ok this only works for vista images it seems, when I try to point it with an XP image it says that this type of file is not supported, where am I going wrong?

I thought I had this sorted!!! :angry:

Ok this only works for vista images it seems, when I try to point it with an XP image it says that this type of file is not supported, where am I going wrong?

I thought I had this sorted!!! :angry:

OK now sorted please refer to this link... it's easy once you know how... thank God for the internet :lol:

http://robwhitehouse.com/windows/windows-s...yment-services/