Question

======================================================================================================================================================================================

>> Available via download here on the TechNet Galleries! <<

======================================================================================================================================================================================

I do have to admit that this tool is already available in it's final form for over a month, but it seemed appropriate to also post here about this final relase. I think this right-click action might be very usefull for most administrators. It also took quite a while before I finally made a 1.0 version of this script/ form. Now it’s there, I also have to admit that I’m even a bit proud of it! It was a nice way of getting familiar with PowerShell and WMI. With answering a few very basic questions, I'll try to provide as much information as possible.

What functionalities does it provide?

This right-click action shows a lot of detailed information about the collections of which a device is a member and also about the collections that the primary user of a device is a member. A quick overview of all the functionalities comes down to the following information per tab:

• Tab – General; The Name, Id. Limiting Collection, Last Update and Last Membership Change of the Collections.
  • Tab – Deployments; The Name of the Collections and the Name, Type aand State of the targeted Deployments.
  • Tab – Variables; The Name of the Collections and the Name, Value and Type of the Collection Variable.
  • Tab – Maintenance Windows; The Name of the Collections and the Name, Start Time, Duration, Recurrence, Schedule, Type of the Maintenance Window.
  • Tab – Power Management; The Name of the Collections, the Name of the Non-Peak Power Plan and the Name, Start Time, End Time and Wake-up Time of the devices in the Collection.
  • Tab – Primary User: Tab – General; The Name of the Collections, Id, Limiting Collection, Last Update and the Last Membership Change of the Collections.
  • Tab – Primary User: Tab – Deployments; The Name of the Collections and the Name, Type and State of the targeted Deployments.

What does it look like?

To show the power and usage of this right-click action, I created the following small movie:

Where is it available?

The final version of my Collection Details Form is publicly available via the TechNet Galleries and for a direct download, via ShowCollectionDetails_v1_0p.ps1.

How can it be used?

To use this script as a right-click action, save the script at [sCRIPTLOCATION], make sure that the folder <AdminConsoleInstallDir>\XmlStorage\Extensions\Actions\ed9dee86-eadd-4ac8-82a1-7234a4646e62 and the folder <AdminConsoleInstallDir>\XmlStorage\Extensions\Actions\3fd01cd1-9e01461e-92cd-94866b8d1f39 exist and add a XML file to those folders as specified here:

<ActionDescription Class="Group" DisplayName="Custom Actions" MnemonicDisplayName="Custom Actions" Description="Custom Actions" SqmDataPoint="53">
<ShowOn>
<string>ContextMenu</string>
</ShowOn>
<ActionGroups>
<ActionDescription Class="Executable" DisplayName="Show Collection Details" MnemonicDisplayName="Show Collection Details" Description="Show Collection Details">
<ShowOn>
<string>ContextMenu</string>
</ShowOn>
<Executable>
<FilePath>PowerShell.exe</FilePath>
<Parameters>-ExecutionPolicy ByPass -WindowStyle Hidden "[sCRIPTLOCATION]\ShowCollectionDetails_v1_0p.ps1" -ResourceId "##SUB:ResourceId##" -SiteCode "##SUB:SiteCode##" -SiteServer "##SUB:__Server##</Parameters>
</Executable>
</ActionDescription>
</ActionGroups>
</ActionDescription>

Questions?

Please don't hesitate to drop any questions, either here or via my own blog at: www.petervanderwoude.nl

• Like 1

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet