pxedave

Dependant Deployment Types installing without warning via AVAILABLE deployments

Hi folks,

Here's another one that got us today that's worth keeping in mind.

If you have an Application which has, let's say, two Deployment Types, the first (priority 1) is configured to auto-install the second (as specified in the Dependancies tab). If you then make this application Available (i.e. not even Required) to a device, as expected it will appear as Available within Software Centre and do nothing until you hit Install... UNLESS the machine happens to meet the requirements of the Detection Method of the first Deployment Type in which case it will AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL THE SECOND DEPLOYMENT TYPE WITHOUT WARNING :angry: This will happend regardless of whether the application is deployed via Task Sequence or on its own. If you're in the habit of using Available deployments as we are, best make sure your Detection Methods in all Deployment Types are unique.

I'd say this is similar to the issue that bit us earlier around supercedence causing Available applications to auto-uninstall superceded packages without warning ( http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8952-possible-bug-in-sp1-cu1-client-applications-that-supersede-others-may-rollout-unexpectedly/?p=33797 ), both of which I'd call a bug rather than a feature.

Well, we also ran into the supersedence bug some time ago.

According to your actual problem i would say that you are absuing the application model and found a bug that should be not even possible. The app model was never designed for a deployment type to be able having another deplyoment type of the same application as dependancy. A Computer should be only able to install a singel deplyoment type of an application at all. So it's a logic error in the console wizard allowing you to chain two deplyoment types.

Well, we also ran into the supersedence bug some time ago.

According to your actual problem i would say that you are absuing the application model and found a bug that should be not even possible. The app model was never designed for a deployment type to be able having another deplyoment type of the same application as dependancy. A Computer should be only able to install a singel deplyoment type of an application at all. So it's a logic error in the console wizard allowing you to chain two deplyoment types.

Hi Peter,

It's a strange one alright.

Note, the GUI is built this way to allow for the definition of more complex products; short of reverting to a Script install it's the only way to define an Application made up of multiple MSI files, something we have dozens of: Adobe, Oracle, Vodafone etc...

I agree with Peter. The application model is not supposed to be used like that.

One application in ConfigMgr should be one software package and the deployment types can be used to differentiate on target devices (operating systems). The detection is also done on a application level, when it detects that the application is not installed, it will install the application by using all the applicable deployment types.