Hutch

Clients not getting software updates

Hello

None of my computers are receiving software updates since upgrading to SCCM 2012 R2 (single server). I had read someone else had the same problem and recreating the ADR worked for him so I deleted mine and all the associated SUGs. I currently have just one manual deployment with all current updates that was created three weeks ago but no clients have received the updates yet.

If I look at the deployment status in the Monitoring node, all are unknown. If I look at the statistics in the Software Library node, only four are unknown and the rest are non-compliant.

• UpdatesDeployment.log says "Total actionable updates = 0".
  • UpdatesHandler.log says "Successfully initiated scan".
  • UpdatesStore.log has lots of "Update status from update (xxx) already exists, will modify existing instance." then "Successfully done with SetStatus() operation".
  • WindowsUpdate.log says "Updates found = 163" but they don't get installed, then the next day it says "0 updates detected" then a few days later it finds 163 again.

If I look at it in the monitoring node it says all unknown. If I look at it in the Software library, only four are unknown and the rest are non-compliant.

I can't figure out what the problem might be and hoping someone here can help me out.

Deadline is in the past. Maintenance window is 7 hours Mon - Fri and 24 hours on weekends. Client settings have a 6 hour window for software updates.

I deleted and recreated the deployment and this time I noticed the wizard does not prompt to create a deployment package or to distribute the package. It goes from Download Settings to Summary. Is this normal for R2?

post-23354-0-85912800-1397150850_thumb.jpg

***EDIT***

The maintenance window I gave you above is the business hours from the Software Center. I have no maintenance window defined for the collection but that doesn't seem to be a problem for applications or the software updates rolled out via ADR.

I should mention that I created a new ADR which ran for the first time this week and it is working. It is just the manual deployment now that isn't working. The ADR did prompt me for a deployment package and distribution point though.

I created a SUG with the updates I wanted and Deployed it to the collection.

I think the problem is that the deployment wizard is missing the step to create and distribute a deployment package. I thought maybe that step was removed in R2 and done automatically but if I check the content of the distribution server, the only deployment package up there is for the ADR.

I'm not sure you're picking up what I'm laying down. The updates are already downloaded to the server but they aren't reaching the clients

If you look at this screenshot of the deployment wizard, according to every tutorial I've seen, the sequence of steps should be this:

post-23354-0-76239200-1397246712_thumb.jpg

But I only have these steps:

post-23354-0-69416500-1397246795_thumb.jpg

After Download Settings I'm missing Deployment Package, Distribution Points, Download Location, and Language Selection. Is this the way it is supposed to be with the latest version or is my wizard fubar'd?