Kazi

SCCM 2012 R2 - Software Update folders deleting

Sure Peter - last Wednesday I went into Software Updates - All Software Updates and searched for Microsoft products for Windows XP and Windows 8.1 that were released within the last month. Once I had that search filtered, I highlighted the required Windows Updates and clicked on Download which prompted me to create a Deployment Package. When creating the deployment package, I am asked for a package source location which I point to \\ServerName\CM_DSL\Updates\ and then I created a folder called WorkstationUpdates-April2014 and I chose that folder. I chose my distro point and chose to download the updates from the internet. Once I finished everything and the downloads completed, I checked my Deployment Package and verified that it points to \\ServerName\CM_DSL\Updates\WorkstationUpdates-April2014. Inside of that folder are the GUID folders of the updates that were downloaded from Microsoft. I hope that's what you are asking for?

Rocket Man, I have not yet tried changing the update folder location. I was hoping to be able to get through deploying the updates this month before trying that.

By the way, as of right now the folders are still there since I copied them back yesterday at 3:41 PM.

I don't think this was the problem, but this morning I went through my Site Maintenance and I noticed that "Rebuild Indexes" was enabled although it *should* be disabled by default. I don't remember turning that on - maybe the other SCCM admin did but I did set it so it is not enabled. Again, I don't think that would be deleting my folders but so far they are still there.

Just an update on this - I thought I had this nipped in the bud by setting permissions on the Update folder because the folders were there last week since my last post in April 16... Then yesterday the other SCCM Admin created an update deployment and said the folders are gone again!

Is there something in R2 that is "designed" to delete those folders in order to keep it clean? I *believe* I can still deploy the updates because they were copied to the DP - but I'm not certain. I'm going to set up a test computer and deploy to it using a Windows Update job where the folders are deleted to see what happens. I'll report back.

Did you ask the other admin which actions he performed?

Yes - He said he didn't delete anything. He said he went in to create the new update and when SCCM asked him where to save the downloaded files, he went to the server\Updates folder and was going to create the folder on the fly. That's when he noticed the previous folders were missing.

He went into Software Updates and downloaded updates for Windows - when he selected what he wanted to download he clicked on Download which asked him if he had a deployment package already created or if he wanted to create a new one. He chose create new deployment package and for Package Source, he clicked on Browse and went out to \\SERVER\CM_DSL\UPDATES and when in there, he clicked on New Folder and created the folder "Workstation Update" then chose that folder and clicked OK and Next. That's how he saw the folders were gone again - because when he created the new folder he noticed none of the other ones were there.

Does that make sense?

It doesn't make sense that the folders are gone, it can only be a manual action... Why even creating a new package?

Isn't that just maybe were it went wrong with somebody, just accedently selecting the top-folder instead of creating a new folder (which I would do before walking through the wizard)?

Thanks Peter. What I did was I created his "own" update folder and I'm going to have him use that one when he creates a update - that way I will be able to watch and see if his folders disappear and mine do not.